NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy-

You ever fish for Tommycod? Assuming you have, or have stumbled upon them, do you know where on either shores of Long Island you can get these little guys? I understand the winter months are usually the best time and usually at night. Is that right?

MC

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Porgyman wrote:
You ever fish for Tommycod? Assuming you have, or have stumbled upon them, do you know where on either shores of Long Island you can get these little guys? I understand the winter months are usually the best time and usually at night. Is that right?

Hello,
Yes, during my younger years, I used to target feisty tommycod approximately this time of the year at Shinne**** Canal (when the locks are closed)! I?ve also encountered small tommycod along the side walls of the Brooklyn Belt Parkway.

As far as tackle goes, you need ultralight tackle tipped with sandworms.

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Excuse me Al, but what are tommycod? How big do they get? Do you cook them like codfish? I'm looking for winter species to target her in the western sound, ie: Throggs Neck, Whitestone, College Point, Flushing Bay area as these are areas nearby I can fish with my son. At 3.5 years old he has caught the fishing bug early, starting with snappers and small stripers this fall, and I'd like to continue to take him fishing for a while longer.

PS: Congrats on the column.

best wishes

raregroove

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Raregroove,
That?s great that you are taking your son out at that age! :)
Right now I don?t have my fish identification book with me ? but all I can say is? these fish are panfish size (small) and looks like small codfish (not the same species)!

If you are looking to target winter species around the western sound? You may want to try the feisty white perch! These are more abundant than the tommies and a lot more fun to catch. ;)

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tommycod must prefer rivers, because I've never seen them East of Little Neck Bay. Any of the lower Hudson piers has plenty though, with Englewood at the center of the action.
College Point has enough of them to target. At Tallmans Island, for example.
Take Van Wyck to 20th Av, turn towards the stores (right turn if you're coming from CIP)
Take 20th Av to 127 St, turn right, and follow 127 to the end. Park.
There is a footpath (paved) leading approximately left, follow it to the pier.
The pier is "L" shaped, Tommycod seem to like the INSIDE corner of the "L".
They will take Sands, but seem to prefer Bloodworms.

This is an interesting place. A bit of exploring will reveal a warm water discharge.
It is intermittant, so it doesn't HOLD fish, but sometimes it sure attracts them!
The outside of the old pier is best for chunkers, while the extension is best for other species,
like Snappers, Blackfish (small), Sea Bass (small) and Bergalls.
Use small baits and hooks, slices of Shrimp from the can, pieces of Chicken McNugget etc.
Fish as close to a piling as you can get it. One minute per piling is more than enough. Keep moving. Dress warm, the wind chill is wicked on the pier!
A livelined Bergall is probably your best ticket to a moby Striper here. Don't cast to Europe!
Remember, the Bass like "structure" too. 15' is plenty far enough. You don't want to get snagged.
This is one of those places where fishing is something people do until they run out of beer.

There is a backside to Tallmans as well.
At the end of 127th St, turn right and continue to the dead end. Park, and continue to walk in the same direction you were driving. You will come to the Western shoreline of Powells cove. With the exception of Bluefish cornering Bunker here, the fishery is limited to school-sized Stripers and Flounder (gulp). Just what the doctor ordered for cabin fever, the action in March/April can be outstanding! Hint: Pick a sunny day and an incoming tide.
Plenty of March/April stripers come up on Flounder hooks.

I am sorry to say the mentality here is to keep EVERYTHING you catch.
It is so prevalent, I had to get in someone's face who challenged me for releasing shorts.
"I DIDN'T TELL YOU WHAT TO DO WITH YOUR FISH, DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO WITH MINE!"
Seemed to work just fine. Then again, I am large.
Enforcement of marine law is virtually nil here, as DEC region 2 is spread WAY too thin.
I can't even get them to post minimum length signs on the footbridge over CIP at 35 Av.
They would probably have to be multilingual anyway.

Flounder

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
They are quite plentiful around the park in Englewood and as Flounder mentioned, they do prefer bloods over sands. I take my son there on occasion when I don't have a full day to take him fishing. Are these definitely a different species from the ocean cod? The reason I ask is that we freqently catch baby ling too or are these "ling" also a different species?

Gamakatsu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.