NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good, now I can bother you on 2 boards!!!! I'm sure this will be a fun forum that will bring a lot of guys on board.

Let's say you were going Tog fishing, somewhere around Orient Point. What rigs would you bring? Hook, leader, etc. (Leave out my treble hook rig, OK)

Billy

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hey Billy,
Let?s have fun in here and be as informative as possible.
OK, to answer your question? Orient Pt. is a prime whitechin area with plenty of rocks, wrecks, jetties, mussel beds and drops.

Rigs to use? - It all depends on the season, depth and water temperature. Obviously the shallow it is? the lighter you go. But this time of the year? You will generally find them in the deeper waters approximately 60 ?110 ft.

As far as rig is concern?there are many ways to rig but one thing for sure?You gotta think HEAVY! Use a stout rod with a conventional reel filled with a minimal of 30-lbs.-test mono. The braid line is excellent but you have to be extra careful not to tangle with the salty next to you. We are also talking about 8 oz. ? 20 oz. Sinker (depending on the tide and moon phase) tied with single hook (2/0-4/0) with minimal of 40lbs. test leader!

Hope this helps! Togtogtogtogtog... :)

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm OK with the Rods & braid. I wasted about 3 hours with someone tying rigs (wait to you see the double hook rig I "invented") - then I got to the boat and found out all I needed was a simple 6inch dropper with a sinker, and a 12 inch leader & a hook.

Should I bring hi-lo rigs? shorter leaders or longer? Or will you & Al be rigging us up in the morning on the way out.

It would be easier to tangle with the s"AL"tly next to you if he wore boots rather than roller skates!! Thanks, Billy

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Billy.

You gotta be kidding.. Wake up already and smell some black coffee!!!
Do you really believe that with all that is at stake on this momentious blackfish rodeo, that your competition will bring rigs and rig you up!!! Come on Billy, it's every fisherman for him or herself. Would you give away an advantage to your competition????? As you say, "LOL"!!!!!

I think the toughest competition will be between the "crazy one" and the "rodprof" and they are team mates.

For all it's worth (actually worthless) I would stay with my 40# mono, a heavy sinker to hold line tight to bottom, a dropper loop about 7" long about 12" above sinker loop and a large blackfish hook placed on the dropper loop. I would attach the sinker using a breakaway loop of maybe 10 # line and heavier loop for very heavy sinkers. Keep it simple. Then pray you are luckier than everyone on the boat.

Good fortune to you..

PS I would have taken Elke along!!!!! We hear the lady catches FISH!!!!

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL!!! I know, I know. I just hope to learn how to fish for these things before the day is over. After all, it's only my 2nd time Toggin in the ocean. I'm fine if I don't win, but I think it might shatter their ego if I win any pool.

I'm not even worrying about bait - in the rules it says they have to share.

Go Goats

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Do the tog bite any differently in LI then they do in jersey waters?
Just wanted to say CONGRATS CA!!!
Noreast is very lucky to have you on board.
However, team GOATS will prevail!!! I was just scoping out the competition last sunday;)
I'll be bringing the "real skillz" on the 24th!!!

Also, which reel would be suited best for using with Mighty Mouse? Maybe you could lend me one as well;)

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hello Gottog,
I have news for ya, blackfish don?t bite differently in other states. ;)
However, there are days tog are very finicky and days they will simply bite their heads off. It all depends on the water clarity and temperature!

BTW: I have extra reels if you need it? but you may have to forfeit your pool winnings.

Thanks for the big welcome and I am looking forward to this Saturday?s tog trip.

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't lend all of your gear out - I need stuff too. Sounds to me like you could make even more $$$ with a lend-a-reel program. Just do not include Pro Gears in it.

I must also thank you for volunteering to tie my rigs for me when my computer choked last night. Grren leaders, olive leaders, and white leaders will do. Also some flies - white with Blue Backs - I would like some of those too.

There will be a "mystery poster" posting a question soon - go easy, all right!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.