NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey ..CRAZY...you so crazy
would you be so kind as to show a
newby to tog how to go about catchin
a few..I never fished for them before
but sounds like fun..please share alittle of your vast angling knoledge
thanks again
max..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey crazy...do you think I should start out on a party boat or maybe set up some charters or hook up with a private guy
please recomend any boats that you like
i hear the nancy ann is ok
thanks again...ps spinning or baitcastin?
is 20lb test line good?
gamy or owner hooks?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Max,
If you want to learn the fine points of tog fishing, I strongly recommend that you go on a party boat and learn the ropes. Just take along your favorite stout rod (6-8ft long) and a conventional reel that is capable to hold approx. 200-300 yards of 25-40 lbs. test line!

Look for the sharpies (the quiet ones usually on the bow or corner stern) and observe them. Watch their concentration and you will know what tautog fishing is all about! These critters are one of the master bait stealers and once hooked, it will give you a fight of a lifetime. This type of fishing can also be very addicting. ;)

Enjoy and if you have further questions, feel free to post.

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
CA, you forgot to mention to look out for the REAL sharpies that rollerskate around!!! LOL
I agree with Alberto. Go on a party boat and don't be afraid to ask the mates and other fisherman questions. Some other anglers may get annoyed, but if you show genuine interest, they should help you out some.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.