NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've caught many snowshoes here, but it's been over 10 years since anything resembling a decent catch has been made. No doubt, it is one of the most serene and beautiful areas to fish -- I still try it 2-3 times a spring on my boat for old times sake. But the fish are just not around like they used to. Wait until the water gets above 50 degrees -- 55 is just right. Early to mid-May is the right time. If the winds are light, try to drift anywhere from 10-25 feet of water (it's a rather broad area) -- you'll cover more ground. Last year, I picked a few fish closer to the beach -- maybe 50 yards off the shoreline while drifting. Used to catch a lot of nice blackfish in Tobaccolot as well, but they too are long gone... Its a shame there are not many fish here as the water clarity has been crystal clear the past few years and some decent amounts of large kelp are still there -- perfect flounder hiding hangouts. Give Tobaccolot a shot and post a report on your results...

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Habs has got it right, hasn't been much going on in Tobbacolot for the last few years. He's also right as to time and water temp. Most guys have been running over to block Island now for the bigger fish over there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.