NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks...........need advice.

I have a 20ft center console with a 175 yamaha outboard........I keep it on a trailer and fish the north shore.
Well it is mid December and I'm still fishing. I was wondering if I need to be concerned or aware of anything special if I decide to not winterize this year.
The reason I am considering this is because it seems I should be able to fish Blackfish for a few more weeks and then maybe a handful of trips to the lilco outflow after that.
However it is likely the boat would not see more than a few winter trips.
What do you think?

Southwest winds always.....Seaox

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Winterize it after your done. Save yourself some headaches. Make sure you check and or change your lower unit fluid and defog the engine. Change the plugs im the spring and you will be good to go.

Bill M

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you still have to winterize the motor, its been a mild Nov & Dec but you know there's going to be days if not weeks of freezing temps ahead. The only way it wouldnt matter if you didnt winterize is if the boat was left in the water and the engine was tilted down,. I ve heard stories of engines being ruined from not being winterized and a 175 Yammie aint cheap. Its easy enough to do ,
Alan

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Also, make sure you grease the fittings on the motor.I neglected to do this about ten years ago and the steering froze up on me.After trying some heat and forcing it,it winded up costing me a new helm setup.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
543 Posts
winterize take it from someone who did not
and my powerhead blew the next year
got it covered under the warr but i learned a
lesson // without the boat for 6 weeks
seanote

best regards
seanote

·
Registered
69 Posts
I highly recommend adding fuel stabilizer and fuel conditioner to the fuel tank. This may save you the need for a tow the next time you launch after inactivity, and will improve engine performance. I have a 150HP Johnson FICHT on an 18ft. center console. I did not winterize my engine after Dec.2000 since I stored the boat indoors, but had problems in April 2001 when I launched for the first time, even though the engine had a full tune-up in March 2001.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.