NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alot of guys are getting really turned onto the harpoons these days.. i have used darts several times with a basket loaded with about 100ft or so of 5/16 and a poly ball. i own 2 poons but rarely use them... anyone have any great success with them or do most of you still prefer the old flying??!?

·
Registered
732 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
Vin,
Do a search we have beaten this subject to death several times before!

You say this quite a bit...Ever think that this site might have new memebers that might want to comment.

Maybe someone has learned something new or switched opinions and would like to comment as well.

If we all took that to heart (your comment), then you might as well shut this site down and tell everyone to do a search as this has been discussed before by everyone who knows anything...

JMHO..

·
Administrator
112,310 Posts
makomakoman wrote:
MakoMike wrote:
Vin,
Do a search we have beaten this subject to death several times before!

You say this quite a bit...Ever think that this site might have new memebers that might want to comment.

Maybe someone has learned something new or switched opinions and would like to comment as well.

If we all took that to heart (your comment), then you might as well shut this site down and tell everyone to do a search as this has been discussed before by everyone who knows anything...

JMHO..

if he searches out the old threads he could just BUMP them up for all to see...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree with makoman completely. It gets really old. everytime somebody has a question there is a reply with use the search function. Is this an interactive site or an encyclopedia? People are trying to start new topics or have questions. Especially in the offseason when there isn't much going on you guys should be encouraging new topics.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Sorry Matt.

Did anyone consider that it would be much more effective to keep everything in an appropriate message thread? Anyone can still add to the old threads. What's the point of continually reinventing the wheel, when we can just add some more spokes to it?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Gaff If You Please!!

Always a good topic. We are sportsman and should fight our entire trophy fish to exhaustion, followed by a neat clean up close and personal gaff shot! You sized him; you want him, then gaff him.
The thought of harpooning any trophy fish and then playing him on a polyline with a float is not really what the trophy game is all about.
There is do doubt that some of the real big fish which I have gaffed could have pulled a dart out if cleated off, on a ball or course not so, as you just exhaust the fish until he is no more.
My only tool of choice on my boat is therefore the flying gaff. We carry three heads & two poles all which can entire change. Once the trophy is boat side we chose the correct head size and send it home with positive results.
Being a good fly gaff man only come with practice and skill?to me it is the only way to trophy end game a fish to be proud of.
Some of the key rules for a successful gaff shot on a big fish is:
#1. The boat must be in gear.
#2 The fish must be ready?..all big makos & threshers usually come to the boat quick for the appearance shot, only a foolish captain allows that fish to be gaffed at that point! You must play him?.we are sport fisherman.
#3. The gaff man has the right of way.
#4. No one talks to the gaff man once the fish is wired.
#5. Once wire the angler must step back & release all but a few pounds of drag.
#6. Once lined up the shot must be clean an only the barb must touch the fish first.
#7. All this is done with the boat in gear. (note the picture below. This thresher @530 pounds in being pulled by the boat in gear. The fish is in the field and out of harms way. The gaff gill shot, which is a little light was the back shot into this fish. The first gaff shot is very deep, did all of the work and also severed the spin! Both gaffs were placed by the same gaff man as we just reloaded the pole with the second head in a nice slow and orderly manner.)
You do no need strength & size to do this. You need skill and a laser sharp gaff head, which will do all of the work for you. In addition the pull into the fish should be slow and firm with not a lot of gaff man pressure. As captain and senior crew I do most of the gaff work these days. Believe me I am not exactly Arnold the Terminator.

This post edited by captainlarry84 07:36 AM 01/29/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
12,042 Posts
The POON only for me. I have both but being commercial i WANT to kill the fish asap. I will NOT be stiking a Flying gaff into a 500 or 600 lb. Tuna. We try to bring them to the Poon as green as possible. The longer you fight the fish the more lactic acid they build up. That means the more Cool Down time in the water and more ice for the cool down on the way in. If you strike the Poon into the Gill plate or fwd. part of the head Game over. that will help the fish Bleed out quicker. I have never had to fight a Tuna on the polly ball. i have 50 fathoms of 3/8" handline and no polly ball attached, have never had more than a couple of fathoms of run off. This is what "Works for me"

Don

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.