NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys,ive always appreciated your advice and now here i am again,heres the delema,does a unpainted white bottom raise more tuna than a painted bottom,or are there different colors of bottom paint avai;ible that would be better,and heres another thought,if it costs 6-800 a year to have it painted would i be better off with a lift as it should pay for itself in a few years.my bro just bought the new 33 grady cc and is taking delivery in a month or so ,should we have the bottom painted?does it make a difference raising tuna?will i save on fuel...thanks

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Petit vivid comes in 24 bright colors from white to black.

The reason he is paying so much a year because someone else is doing it, at the tune of 10-15 dollars a foot, each coat, plus paint, plus materials, sometimes plus stands, etc.....

If the vessel is to be kept in the water, unless you are going to haul it each and every week for a good power wash and scrub, paint it.

If the paint is applied uniformly and is kept free of slime(use it) it should not detract any noticeable amount from your fuel efficiency.

If the boat is to be trailered, don't bother with the cost.

AS for tuna, I believe it is the prop turbulence that draws the fish in, not the hull, but by the amount of guys who paint schools of bait and squid on their hulls, I may be dead wrong.

This post edited by capndom 09:51 PM 02/12/2008

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
I knew a guy in Montauk that had a 28 foot go fast boat that kept it on a hyraulic lift instead of painting. It seemsed to me to be a real PITA as something was (it seemed) always going wrong with the lift. So in addition to the cost of the lift he had to go in and scrub the bottom a couple of times a season.

·
Registered
651 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
I knew a guy in Montauk that had a 28 foot go fast boat that kept it on a hyraulic lift instead of painting. It seemsed to me to be a real PITA as something was (it seemed) always going wrong with the lift. So in addition to the cost of the lift he had to go in and scrub the bottom a couple of times a season.

You talking about Peter Calico's RED Speedboat?
He has his boat on a lift, it's right after the yacht club, on the right, at the mouth of the lake.

·
Registered
651 Posts
edwiss67 wrote:
yea we got the twin 350s,amzan machines,believe it or not, but there quieter than the 250s by alot
how can that be?
I would think 200 more horse and 4 more cylinders should hum a little more than the 250's...don't ya think?
What's those burn at cruise?:(

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he traded in a 282 grady with 250 which got about 1.6 miles at 38-4000 rpms pushing 33 mph,when this boat came along it was a no brainer to trade up, 1.5 miles at same rpm,diesel generator below deck,cooler panels in fish boxes and same top end,we didnt beleive it either till we test rode it over in orient last month.huge difference in noise at running speeds, my lawn mower is louder.plus 350 gallons of gas,over 400 mile range,cant wait to pick it up...now just have to find a lift company to get prices on lifts,havent made up mind on bottom paint yet

This post edited by edwiss67 11:17 PM 02/13/2008

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Paint

Ed,

If in doubt, do not paint. You can always paint later. But once you paint there is no turning around, another though is how long do you plan on being in this boat? If it will be a short stay, the resale will be better without paint. It will show better with a like new bottom.
As fair as raising fish?? Unknown if it makes a difference.
Speed with a slick smooth F/G unpainted bottom you will most likely pick up a little speed and fuel consumption. However you must keep it clean.
In closing the lift can be a real PITA and just on more thing to maintain.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
NewLove wrote:
MakoMike wrote:

You talking about Peter Calico's RED Speedboat?
He has his boat on a lift, it's right after the yacht club, on the right, at the mouth of the lake.

No, I forgot all about Pete's boat. I was thinking of Dan's formula that he used to keep at Gone Fishing out on the end of the new dock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.