NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be docking my boat for the first time this season, it's never been bottom painted and I would like to avoid doing it. Do you think I can get away with just hauling it out every couple of weeks to clean it or should I paint? Thanks

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi,

I am in the same situation but where my slip is (NH), the water is cold and crystal clear with a very fast current.

Where will the boat be (back bay, near an inlet, montauk)? The cleaner and colder the water the longer you can probably get away with it. I usually take mine out every 2 weeks for a day or two and scrub it while it is still wet to remove any junk.

The hull is going to stain brown and only a very good waxing/compounding will get out the stain at the end of the season.

I would say after more then 2 or 3 weeks your going to get barncles and other critters cemented to the hull and then your in trouble.

I would just get the best slickes bottom paint you can which will last for many seasons. Unless it is real easy to haul out and clean.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bottom paint is a must,if you are not trailering the boat. It must be done properly,since your boat has never been painted it must be primed 1st. Go to www.yachtpaint.com and look at their Micron extra.The also give you guidelins for painting.
Buy the way,a roller gives you a better finish,except the chines are a little difficult(use a brush there).Have fun "BTDT" :)

This message was edited by NANSEA11 on 1-15-02 @ 6:25 PM

·
Registered
483 Posts
The primer coat needs extra treatment to help it bond to the glass hull. The guy at my marina says he mixes in some sand. I've heard of some people gently scuffing the gel coat with mild sandpaper.

Once the primer coat is on, you also need 2 additional coats over it. After that you can get away with painting once each spring unless you have some heavy fouling/wear problems.

Mix the antifouling paint really, really well. Keep mixing if you still feel gummy stuff on the bottom of the can.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
3 yrs ago a dude @ my marina bought a new kencraft. For whatever reason the boat was put in the water without bottom paint for 3 weeks in the summer{ think it was only supposed to be put in for a day,then hualed but they forgot to hual it.
When the boat was hualed the new owner broke the deal because the boats hull was ruined. There was barnicle growth just forming which is all it takes and I watched the guys try for weeks to remove the growth. They did end up getting it off but I think @ the expense of the gellcoat.
YOU GOTS to BOTTOMPAINT if its left in anything more then a week ou so, even thats too long in the summer months.
Alan

This message was edited by Scalawag on 1-16-02 @ 4:41 PM

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you do decide to bottom paint your hull, you need to consider a couple of things. 1st be sure to prep your hull well. You need to scull the gel coat with a fine sand paper and then be sure to wipe it down with a solvent. When hulls are laid up, a release agent is sprayed into the mold which prevents the Gel Coat from sticking to the mold. This release agent will still be on your gel coat and will prevent a good bond of your bottom paint to the gel coat. I bought a boat with this problem and the bottom paint kept coming off in sheets. 2nd If you have your boat in a boat yard, I don?t believe you are allowed to bottom paint the hull yourself. It?s unlawful. Apparently, bottom paints are considered to be pesticides and only someone with a license can apply bottom paint. You?ll have to buck up the cash to have the yard do it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
TWO QUESTIONS
whats the atraction of not painting ?

im going to do it myself this season.do i just scatch to old paint with sand paper and roll it on ....
and how soon after paint should it be launched for the
season

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hay GARYT !
I have a 14' glass boat and it did'nt see salt water till season before last and i did'nt paint. My brother-in-law and are heavey weights.and after a month or so much junk grew on it.Needless to say even with a 55 horse evenrude we couldn't brake plain.the boat was put back in the water last april with a coat of paint and still in with no problem. It will stay for the 2002 season. SO PAINT !!!
Happy Boating
oldbay rat

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Plugger,
The advantages of not painting are as follows,
Performance, without a doubt once your boats bottom painted say goodbye to 5 mph's, easy!
also figure in GPH's. This is one of the reasons that people who but Cigarette type boats almost never bottompaint them & splurge for a hydrohoist or trailer them.
2 RESALE!!.. Your looking to buy a used boat and you find one thats never been bottom painted & its a fantastic indicator that the boat has allways been trailered and has low hours.
Also they look sweeter without that copper paint on its bottom.
The boats worth more if its never been bottompainted, I bet as much as 10-15%.
Salute,
alan

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Howz about 2 qts.? Although you might be right cheaper to buy it by the gal.
The marine supply stores have charts and the salesman can tell you, also West Marine has a chart in thier catalog that gives info. on the paint. I touched up my 19 last march and went through a qt. quickly having done 1/2 the hull.
Be carefull with the new laws with this paint also, dont know the specifics but you can go to jail for painting your boat, he he he well fined at least. " hey buddy what you in for" ? ummmm Bottom painting .
Theres a site called boatered.com that has hundreds of archived articles on bottom painting , theres different types ect..
enjoy ..
alan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.