NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
What's everyones idea about using a reel with a
bail, and without? You know, advantages, and
disadvantages. I would like your input!!
Thanks, Thadeus in Sag Harb

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
If you dont use a bail you never have to worry about it dropping, and sending your plug off to the waves (with out a line attached), the only disadvantage I find is when the fish are hitting as the plug lands, it takes a second to set the line on the roller.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I stopped using a bail for a long time now on my Penn 704z. I've been surf fishing for over 25 years. It was the best decision I made. No lock ups, no problems. The manual conversion kit cost about $5.00
Tiderunner

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
For casting heavier plugs/lures go bail less especially if you're fishing around rocks (less to break). For fishing lighter lures I'm still sticking with a bail.

And for bait fishing I think bail is better. It's easier to get the fish on the reel by closing the bail than fumbling to get the line on the roller as the fish runs.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you remove the bail (in my case from a Penn 7500) how do you get your line on the roller? Do you put it on the roller with your finger or will it catch when you start the retrieve? Does this conversion kit that someone mentioned do the trick? I use 1-1/2 and 2oz plugs and have lost one by the bail closing...thought I'd be on "best fishing bloopers" with that act, so maybe I'll try going bail-less. Just curious about the mechanincs...

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Use your finger. Either by hand (a quick motion once you get the hang of it) or by putting your finger on the rim of the spool and letting it catch then putting it on the roller.

Most of the conversion kits are just large "stoppers" that look like big screw heads to keep the line of coming off the roller.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
742 Posts
Cut Off the bail.. For the 7500 I dont recommend the conversion kit as it has a small arm on it, which for me just gets in the way. Instead just cut the bail off and file the burs.If your converting a Penn Z--remember when you make a cast your handle should be down. Handle down=spool out. Handle up = spool in = lost plugs..Tight Lines-

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

·
Registered
742 Posts
Bassole- I had the same problem with the line wraping around the knob on the vs. The solution to your problem is to file douwn the edges of your knob. It workks great and you will not have that problem anymore..

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Bill, how do the guys at Van Staal feel about that. Will filing down the knob void the warrenty? I have had the same problem, and that seems like it would work.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To Bill W....when you say file the drag
knob....what do you mean? I don't mean to sound
stupid but I don't understand where to file on the
knob.....File the sides or the bottom edge? I
really would like to stop my VS 250 from wrapping
around the spool knob when using a pencil popper.
Thanks in advance.....greg f.aka..roc'h

·
Registered
742 Posts
There are 4 edges on the side of the knob---just file them down --smooth. Your problem will be solved.-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.