NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago while throwing my surf bag at the fish, I got skunked- not even a tap. While most everyone fishing bait had blues up to 14lbs. I even saw a 48" bass, caught on bunker. Is this the time to switch to bait or are the guys casting hardware still hooking up? If so what time/tide?

·
Registered
7 Posts
On the north fork i've caught monster blues on chunks day or nite, but i would have my plug bag with me anyway. Pluggin also keeps you warmer than standing there waiting on a hit. I would say bring along two bunker and the plug bag and that way you won't have to say i should have.....

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Sometimes the fish can be really turned on to lures instead of bait, especially larger fish. But if you like tossing artificials I wouldn't stop.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi sandwormer:
I fish mostly on the south shore of long island, west end II to be exact. If you've ever been there you would find that the walk from your car to the beach is very long on soft sand, therefore carrying two rods with bait and a surf bags would be impractical. I thank you for your reply and suggestion but truthfully I prefer lures.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jaiem.
I do prefer lures to bait, it's just that watching everyone pull in nice fish makes me wonder if the fish turn off to the artificals and key on the natural. I'll admit I went out with my "meat pole" and filled my freezer with fish but, there was something lacking for me reeling in large fish with 25lb test and wire leaders. I never use more than 15lb test when casting tins and plugs.

This message was edited by chicken scratch on 11-19-01 @ 6:37 PM

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hello Chicken Scratch,
I understand your frustrations but the only word of advice is to continue what you are doing! However, after reading your questions carefully - You may want to fish your areas away from the chunkers and concentrate working the late wee hours of the night! Generally when there are chunkers around... the areas is already stagnated with fresh meat scent which will give the plugger the disadvantage. Although chunking is the key to big fish... That's not to say a big swimmer or a well-presented bucktail will not fool that trophy fish.

You got to remember one thing... This is the Fall Run - These fish are on their migration path and they will engulf just about anything that swims their way! Therefore you've got to find their migrating paths and work it hard with your lures!

I fish the South Shores and I know your area well. Work the jetties and deep coves late at night! If you scout the areas during daylight - look for bait and follow their paths to the nearest covers, cuts, jetties and coves. Once you've located them... check your tide chart carefully and your night attack! You will be surprised at the size you catch and be thankful that you've used a lure and not bait!

Also, during the daylight - You want to scout the South shore beaches carefully and you will probably find some blitzing fish. This is the time where you can find explosive top water action with little neck poppers as deep diving tins.

Hopes this helps!

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hiya Chicken Scratch...
Good for you and nice fish!

If ya have any other questions for me...feel free to drop by the (Fishing with "Crazy" Alberto) furum. It would be great to see ya there!

Tight lines!
"Crazy" Alberto

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.