NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of confusion on the time that is actually required for getting your Captain's License.. Here are the facts:

You are required to have a total of 360 days experience on board a boat since you were 15 years old. 90 of those days need to be in the last three years. As little as 4 hours on a boat can be considered one day. And in one 24 hour period you can claim just one day of sea service time. If you own the boat yourself you sign off your own time. If your time was spent on friends or families boats they can sign the time off for you. Your time does not need to be signed off by a licensed Captain and in fact you do not even need to be operating the boat yourself for this time to count.

This is basically an honor system which the Coast Guard will accept your best guess... You are not required to submit log books. If you choose to use one of our courses Mariners School will provide you with a Sea Service form and guidance on how to properly fill it out. This is basically a form that looks like a calendar... In each month there are 5 slots... Each of these slots represent a month of your choice... You simply make a best guess as to how many days you were out on a boat for a particular month... Once the total of days is greater than 360 you have now met the Coast Guards time requirement for getting your Captain's License.

For those of you looking to get your license there is more information in the Mariners School Product Support forum on this site...

·
Registered
146 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
Squiddly wrote:
FYI, each REC has different standards as far as valuation of sea time and age. Its dumb but thats how it works.

REC?
REC stands for "Regional Exam Center". This is where you go to submit your paperwork, where its reviewed, and where your license is issued.

Anchorage, AK
Juneau, AK
Boston, MA
New York, NY
Balitmore, MD
Charleston, SC
Honolulu, HI
Houston, TX
Long Beach, CA
Oakland, CA
Memphis, TN
Miami, FL
Mandeville, LA
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA
St. Louis, MO
Toledo, OH

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
O.K. I was unfamiliar with the acronym. I think you are worng about each having different standards, the standards are published in the regs and they are supposed to apply to all Coast Guard offices no matter where they are located, just like any other Coast Guard regulation. As a practical matter it may be different in practice, but a lawsuit could very quickly correct that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
O.K. I was unfamiliar with the acronym. I think you are worng about each having different standards, the standards are published in the regs and they are supposed to apply to all Coast Guard offices no matter where they are located, just like any other Coast Guard regulation. As a practical matter it may be different in practice, but a lawsuit could very quickly correct that.

Let me clarify then, each REC interprets the USCG regs differently. NY is very strict with sea time and would only accept it back to age 16. Boston is lenient and accepted back to 15.

Like I said, its unfair, but each REC can evaluate as strictly as they want.

I had to go thru REC-Boston because I wouldn't have been able to get my Master if I went to NY. I know this because I spoke with REC-NY many times before submitting my paperwork.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
MakoMike....Squiddly is correct on how strict they are in interperting your days at sea on your license as far as the Regional Offices are concerned.

New Yorks MIO (Office of Marine Inspection), is extremely strict and will go over your license package pretty throughly. Cathy Galante who was in charge of that part of the MIO followed the rules to the 'T'. It was well known that you were better off traveling up to Boston and getting your license from there. Wait times were much shorter, and much less headaches and COURTESY, when they went through you license package.

No matter who you are when you step into NYs MIO, everyone had to have there 'I's dotted and 'T's crossed. I saw one poor old timer who was trying to get his license done up here, having to get a note from his doctor due to the type of medicine he was taking....he tried to explain without any success, that the doctor was in the state he lived in down south, which was his normal home during his off season. No leeway was given and boy this guy put on a good complaining show while I was there.

Personally with a number of renewals under my belt, I always said the office was run much better when you actually did not pay for your license and received it that very day. Now with the fee, and the dog and pony show there, it is something few people in the marine industry look forward to doing....and I might add that sadly, the paper bond used for your license from years ago, was a nice heavy weight quality paper document. Now it looks like it is printed on a copy machine on some paper that a kid got on sale at Staples.

EC NEWELL MAN<>

·
Registered
124 Posts
Captain's liability?

A frequent question that arises in conversations with guys I fish with always comes up. What is the liability/responsibility (legally really) for a licensed Capt. on a boat he/she is on,(as a guest/passenger) but not hired to run?As someone interested in the license, if for no other reason than just to have, are there any potential downsides,(while being on a boat as a guest) and is there a better reason to be a guest on a boat without the license credentials.

thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a no win topic... My lower region clinches shut every time I am lured into giving my opinion on this topic...There is always a large number of sea lawyers who will want to participate with their very strong opinions no matter how much or little actual knowledge or experience they have on this topic.. No problem with this but as this topic is debated remember my butt is already tightly closed and not looking to be forced open...

Here goes... I am recognized by the courts as an expert witness with regards to the rules of the road... I am not a lawyer or judge or jury and do not pretend to be an expert on this topic... Please remember every accident needs to be evaluated based on the actual facts of that particular situation... The information I am providing is based on my actual experience from real court cases that I was personally involved with.. Not a story I heard or my interpretation of this question...

I have been personally be involved in three maritime accident cases. Two of the accidents involved a licensed Captain's and one involved an unlicensed boat operator... I deposed the parties involved and wrote a detailed evaluation of which vessel or operator broke or followed the rules of the road... I took and evaluated pictures which were used to recreate the accident... I reviewed and reported on the validity and accuracy of the police reports in each of these cases. In addition I was required by the courts to provide documentation supporting my findings... The lawyers in each case were required to submit my qualifications and I was questioned under oath by the court prior to me being accepted as an expert witness...

In one of the cases the fact that one of the persons involved was a licensed Captain most likely was a benefit not a liability to the individual holding a USCG license.

The other case involving a licensed Captain was settled immediately after my findings were submitted to the courts... Once again the fact that one of the individuals involved was a licensed Captain did not create any additional liability...

Remember the rules state that two vessels may never touch... To prevent a collision you are required to deviate from the rules... No matter what if two boats collide while underway both vessels will share some of the responsibility... This is a loose definition of the rule... However for this purpose it will work.

This is where the term being dead right may have come from.... Although according to the rules of the road you may have been right... Not taking action to deviate from those rules may make you dead right...

If you are a guest or passenger and a licensed Captain and an accident occurred while you were on the boat... As long as your direct actions did not cause the accident or play a roll in the accident and you were not the boat operator you have no additional liabilities...

Remember though... We are in a period of time that McDonald's can be sued and not win the case for serving hot coffee to a bonehead who spilled the coffee on themselves while driving their car ... So I guess anything is possible... But this is not a situation I would loose any sleep over as a licensed Captain...

Before the attack commences remember this is my opinion based on actual cases that I was personally involved in as an expert witness...This is not something I heard or a he said she said situation... These cases were real and the balance of a persons life or should I say quality of life was going to be changed forever based on my findings that were presented to the courts...

If I am wrong and am not personally attacked or beaten down by the masses... Then I apologize in advance... However, I am going to stay clinched shut until I feel it is safe once again...

This post edited by MarinersSchool 01:12 AM 12/30/2007

·
Registered
124 Posts
Capt. Figular,
thanks for the reply. I know the question I asked can be brutal, and was not even sure how to type it out correctly knowing what happens on the boards. Your answer was perfect and sums up the way the conversations on board always go. No doubt we are in very litigous times where lawsuits popup all the time for the smallest of things.
So for me personally I am still interested in the license, particularly due to the online course, seems to me I can save some time,travel expense and plan the time required to suit me best for study and class.

thankyou

Andrew

BTW : it would be good to hear more opinions or examples of the pros/cons of the license

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
CG-719S is the form you want to document your sea time on.

http://uscg.mil/stcw/downloads.htm has everything you need, directly from the source. The checklist they have is a good tool to follow.

When you decide to get your license, start your package at the CG working to get the ball rolling(security check, ID authentification, etc.), you can fill in what you need as you get closer to having all required papers and certifications, etc.....the 4-10 week wait can be "shortened" by starting the procedure sooner.

I can't seem to make the links work anymore?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
sharkdiver wrote:

BTW : it would be good to hear more opinions or examples of the pros/cons of the license

Only cons are the money/time you have to spend to get and keep the license. The knowledge is priceless, and the certification can lead to career opportunities and lots of hot babes, not to mention the self worth
you can get....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tell our students that the number one reason to consider Mariners School in the first place is for the education and safety that comes from that education... The secondary benefit is getting the license...

I also add that your license represents a key if an opportunity presents itself and you have the proper key to open the door you can choose to walk through that door or choose to walk around... However, the choice is yours... Through life I have always found that the more keys I have the better it goes...

·
Registered
145 Posts
capndom wrote:
sharkdiver wrote:

Only cons are the money/time you have to spend to get and keep the license. The knowledge is priceless, and the certification can lead to career opportunities and lots of hot babes, not to mention the self worth
you can get....

I didn't seem to get the hot babe addendum on my license. Any idea where I can upgrade?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.