NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm booked on the Jamaica 4/8 for a Tile fish trip. I can use all the help/hints/advice you and others can share. I'm renting the rod and reel on the boat but don't have a clue on technique, rigs etc.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just read about the Jamaica having tilefish trips. Sounds good. I haven't ever heard of tilefish trips since there haven't been that many around for a while, but from what I read, they are making a coemback. I've heard stories about tilefish, but that's about it.
I don't know any specifics, as to what type of equipment you'll need, but I can give you some ideas. First off, you'll be fishing in water up to 600' deep. (You better have some nuscles...lol.) I know in the past, they've had to use sash weights as sinkers (no kidding), so you'll need sinkers up to 32 ounces. You'll also need a HEAVY duty rod and reel.
My suggestion would be to call the captain, and get suggestions from him. You could always get what you need from the boat. They should have everything you need (rod, weights, etc). It may be a little more expensive than buying it yourself, but probably worth it.
Hope you catch some of those bad boys.
By the way...what does that trip cost? I'm thinking of maybe going on one of the trips.
~tight lines~

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry...I just noticed that you said that you'll be renting the rod from the boat. Like I said, I would probably get the sinkers, etc, from the boat also. The mates can give you advice on techniques, rigs, etc. Just be sure to tip them. ;)

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Murph,
Its been a long time since I've done it. Call and ask what type of rod & reel and what line is on the reel. If I were doing it today I'd want some sort of thin superbraid to control stretch and use less weight. We used to use sash weights with sinker releases, sometime you'd need two sash weights to get down. If you can get a good supply of sash weights and a sinker release use it. Its a lot easier to pull the line up without the weight on it. :)
Hooks and leaders will depend on what you're using for bait. We used to use clams but I know the commercial guys use bluefish filets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
125' Jamaica Recommendations

Thanks for all the information. This is the information sent by the boat.
Tackle: 4/0 to 6/0 Reel, preferably 6/0.
Heavy boat rod. 50 to 80lb. Power Pro line or equivalent. 4/0 to 7/0 Bait holder hooks, sinkers from 20oz to 4LBS.
Fish on the bottom with a rig similar to a fluke rig. Usually one hook tied to a dropper loop close to the sinker, 12 to 24" leader. The bait used is squid, mackerel fillet, clams. (Squid or mackeral are best)The cost is $150 Tackle can be purchased on the boat.

I"ll post results April 9th if I can still use my arms and hands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.