NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last nights high tide at Jones Inlet(Point Lookout) was reported (by this web site and one other source) to be at 5:59 PM. The tide didn't stop coming in until 7:20 PM and remained slack for at least another half hour to 40 minutes after that. This was frustrating because my plan was to leave the dock around 6:00 PM and set up so I was fishing into the bridge for the first three(or so) hours of the outgoing tide. My plan was to be setup and fishing(for bass) by 6:40 since normal slack is about 40 minutes in that area. Since I was chumming with clam bellies I didn't want to have to change spots and start another chum line. I was fishing by the third Meadowbrook bridge so it was easy for me to see the current passing by the columns so it wasn't just the wind or my imagination pushing my boat. Last night(5/23) there was a SSW wind of, I would guess, 15 knots plus we're two night away from a full moon. I'm thinking that the wind direction and speed, and moon tide caused a mini-surge that threw off tide predictions.

My question is: Is there a better way for me to go about estimating tide changes better so this doesn't happen to me again?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The tide by the big meadowbrook can be as much as 45+ minutes after the tide at the inlet. Plus, with a full moon in two days, and a southwest wind, more water is going to be pushed into the bays. High tide and current are two different things. What I mean is that even though the tide has stoped, there wil still be a current, especially with a SW wind, and a new moon. Look at not only the tide, but also the time for high water slack. As an example, high water slack was at about 7:30 in jones inlet last night.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I almost left myself " high & dry " @ Hemlock couple days ago

It was the mid afternoon, High tide was around 5 pm & I figured it was still coming in even @ Hemlock cove which is pretty far towards FI granted.
I was listening to 68' on my handheld from the beach when someone asked if the tides going out, I responded with NO Capt. Incoming.... then someone chimed in to correct me. I then responded " Cap, where the heck are you that the tides going out kinda ****y like because I thought I was definitly right, just then I checked my boat and she was as close to being high & dry as possible, It took me a good 5 minutes to work the sucker off the beach. learned a lesson there. Gotta check FI tides for the state channel that far east, Man it differs. { is differ a word? is now}
Alan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.