NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't own one YET. I was in Powderhorn Outfitters in Hyannis Ma last week and checked it out. Very solid and SMOOTH. Definitely would have bought it if I wasn't already burning cash on this outing to the Cape(very productive). My surf fishing is UNFORTUNATELY limmitted to about 3 trips a year as L.I. or Cape Cod is a long haul from Lk George. For the rest of this year my 704z will suffice but that Taurus reel will definitely be under my Xmas tree. I'm no expert but I handled the reel for about 30 minutes in the shop and it was real hard leaving it there. It seems to be about half the price of the other "quality" reels and the Taurus comes with the extra spool. Just my humble opinion.
GBA,
Alan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've did some research on this TICA before I brought one to test out. The company has been around for 10 years building Shimano reels in China. That is why they look a little like Shimano. Why pay $450 for a Shimano Stella or a Vaan Staal reel when the Taurus is only $200.
I own two TICA reel and they are very smooth. They have out last my Shimano Stradic 6000. I have the Libra SA3000 10 ball bearings which I use in the north shore. I've put it to the test by catching 40 blues around 9-15 lbs this Fall run so far. The reel still holding up. The other TICA reel is the Camry GP4000 8 ball bearings which I use for surfcasting. The reel is light and smooth. I got both reel for less then one Shimano Stradic 6000. The Taurus 6000 & 5000 with 14 ball bearings will you can't go wrong. They are $200 at EastCoastTackle.com. They are too big for the north shore, but they are coming out with a smaller model soon which I hope to get.
You can check out the TICA reels at Ticaglobal.com

"I don't need to run faster than the bear, I just need to run faster than you"

·
Registered
215 Posts
I GOT THE PISCES; THE 2ND TIME I USED IT THE CLICKER FOR THE FREE SPOOL STOPPED WORKING. I HAVENT OPENED IT UP YET TO SEE WHATS WRONG WITH IT, BUT IT WAS BRAND NEW. THEN I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE HANDLE PITING. BESIDES THAT VERY SMOOTH, YA JUST GOT TO TREAT THEM RIGHT.

·
Registered
404 Posts
a friend recently bought one of these for about 60 or 70 bucks. i don't know which model.
he is mechanically inclined, so he opened it up for a look inside. he said the main gear was plastic. he's bummed out, doesn't expect much life for this one.

caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).

set,
opinari

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tica Taurus reels :
In regards to the Taurus Reel as another poster stated EastCoastTackle.com has them in stock. I delt with them and the service was excellent.
In regards to the reels itself. When purchasing the 5000S the spare spool that arrived with two of these reels was the 6000S size. With the 6000S spool the reel feels outstanding.
The reel feels best when placed on the appropriate rod. Something that balances out well with a reel weighing 22-23 ounces. I found on my lighter tipped rods it felt bulky but on medium tip roads it was extremely comfortable.
The reel itself is solid and as smooth as glass but care should be taken not to submerge the reel. Though there are 13 ball bearings internally they are not "sealed" bearings so water can pass in easily which may cause the worn gear to bind.
The drag is predictable and consistant and the adjustments gradual and smooth.
The handle itself is comfortable and takes no effort when working swimmers and small poppers. As a matter of fact sometimes it almost feels as if the reel is working the swimmer itself.
Being that the reel is so effortless and smooth the reel has to be matched to a rod that provides consistent tension when reeling in lures or tins that is why I recommend the reel not be used on sloppy or soft action tips. Inconsistent tension on the reel causes inconsistent tension on the line which may result in line being wrapped on the spool loosely. This may result in loops pulling off the spool on the cast tangling the line.
All in all for the 200 dollar price range this reel is bar none the best out there for surf fishing of plugs, tins and lures but as stated it is a reel that at its current sizing is not for light tackle users.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried a search to get some info on these reels, I had to download something to translate from Chinese, needless to say I stoped my search. It's just my personal preferance buy American made products.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think they may have erratic quality control. The gears in my first Taurus went south the third time I used it. Very possibly because of mis-alignment when the reel was assembled. It was replaced without a hassle and the replacement has worked fine.

In the Taurus, the main drive and pinion gears are brass. The worm gear that oscillates the spool is a cheaper white metal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.