NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question from a novice... and I mean total virgin here...

Would like to turn some wood and make a few just for kicks this winter. Have seen some great looking homemade wooden plugs with a channel drilled thru for the wire that passes from front to back and a swivel under.

The plugs have a hook in the rear where the wire exits, and a swivel used thru a hole in the "vent" or bottom area of the plug that secures another hook.

My question is this... with all the prep work and time spent in priming, painting and topcoating the plugs... what is done to prevent the plug from rotting from the inside out as water will stay inside the plug along the wire channel?

JMC

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well, I think most of the care & protective coating for the plug's exterior has to do with a combination of concern for aesthetics as well as the effects of being chewed on (we hope) by toothy critters and bounced off rocks, dragged through sand, etc...chances are the plug's gonna be lost long before interior rot becomes an issue. I do know some folks are wiping epoxy on the wire to get a little bond going in there...on the whole, though, i don't think there's too much concern about it...especially if there's a real tight fit with the wire inside the body...anybody have any thoughts on this question?

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I do is before wiring and painting, I dip it in a sealer or hardener (some guys use linseed oil) this way the inside is sealed as well. After it dries then I wire it, then prime and paint, then epoxy.

Cu out there
Steve

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like the Man said, If the lure is any good the fish will eat it off before any rot could set in. If it doesn't catch fish, who cares about rot:). Actually I think the plug would have to soak in water for a long time befoe it would rot. I've gota couple of wood poppers that have most of the paint torn off and I have to hang them up to dry after a nights fishing. They feel like they double in weight and they don't swim right. Yes, I said swim, and sloooooow!

John
Ronkonkoma,NY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.