NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
2/3 of all sharks that I've ever had a run in with have hit the middle line, usually set around 25/30 ft down and approx 100 ft from the boat. I have never hooked a thresher, but I believe this depth is the most effective for the type of chum slicks deployed by sharkers in this area. On balance, the thermocline MAY be the key. In the early season the fish may be above it (warmer water), in the fall they are probably below it (warmer). Good Topic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Threshers are usally caught down deep. In 25 - 30 fathoms I get a bait down to 100 ft. +. How ever it's not unusuall to cath them up high. You can "tweek" or peak out your transducer to clearly define the thermocline. There is some detail involved but after you do it once you've got it. I can't explain it now but if you post the question to some of the NorEast staff they may put it in print. This has been a topic in other magazines such Big Game Fishing Journal just to name one. Good luck !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.