NorEast Fishing Forum banner

THOUGHTS ON THE ANGLER BOATS

44K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  SneakyPete 
#1 ·
I'm currently in the market for a 20 or so foot new/slightly used walk around boat. I'm looking at the Angler boats, seems like a good ship for the money, a good middle of the road kind of boat. I've never been on one in the water though.....Does anyone have any input about these boats or one that is in a similar price/size class? How they ride, fishability, more importantly the little details (room for storage, some of the comfort accessories, etc.) I realize this doenst really compare to a Robalo or Grady....or maybe it does? Any thoughts you guys have would be great.

Thanks,
Tom

#2 ·
Just finished shopping for the same boat (20ftCC) myself. We considered Angler and reviews were really mixed from great value to total nightmare. Your right at first look with the Grady/Robalo thing by the way - no comparison. In this case the old adage does hold true- you get what you pay for.

I would defintely look at the Maycraft line ( do a search we had a thread going on this in fall 07). You can p/u a new 20 ft CC with Alum Trailer and a 4 stroke for around 23k. Or- even better - do yourself a favor and check out the used boats - great deals to be had right now (check out the bank repos too). I just picked up a 20ft Dusky w/ a 150 injected Johnson and new Alum trailer for a steal. Good luck!

#3 ·
Maycraft

Ya know, I havent really explored the Maycraft yet. At this point I'm wide open to looking at everything. The anger was the fist one we looked at, and the more and more I look at other boats in the same size range.....we keep coming back to this Angler. But you're right, there are lots of good deals to be had, patience can be a virtue with this stuff.

#4 ·
I had a 2003 angler 180f. great boat. The only reason I no longer have it is: My daughter is still small, yet old enough to express her interest in being on the boat. The few times I took her out last season, I simply didnt feel like she was safe with the notched transom...thats a nice spot for a little one to go flying out of! That is however MY reason. Nothing wrong with the boat at all. In fact, I have a much larger boat now but I miss the angler. For whatever its worth...It sold for my asking price and the new owner (whom I speak to from time to time) couldnt be happier.

#5 ·
From what I've seen you hit it on the head with your assessment. I've heard/read stories that makes them anything from a terrible boat to a "price point" boat. "Price point" meaning exactly that you get what you pay for.

Ride wise, that 20 footer you may be looking at is good for the bay, but having been on a buddy's 22, it is not for the snot or anything much above 3 foot. Wet, hard riding boat, and he admits it.

What does seem to hold true is that Angler has problems standing behind their boats when warranty is required. You get a good one, it will have some issues and the dealer should take care of it if new and the issue is not major. Used or a larger problem, and you may have a fight on your hands.

Mu buddy's is a 22 WA, cabin space is OK, set up is good for fishng, storage wise and set up wise. His does not have a live well. A little cramped in the ****pit with 3 guys, but manageable.

There was site started by a very disatisfied ANGLER owner a few years ago. I was surprised to find it still active! Usually these things get 'squashed" by legal threats , unless there is some merit . You can check it out for yourself:

Angler-boats.com

#6 ·
Angler.

I was too looking at the Angler 204 FX Limited over the past 3 years. I am now thinking of making the jumper to a CC again and I am not going to go this route. My take on the issue is Angler boats do not compare to the heavier built boats; for much less you could get yourself into a mucher better 2 to 4 year old used boat.

I am looking at 2 different 19' Maycrafts right now in the 13K range and a 20' Parker around 18K.

Just my little rant...One of the main reasons I am shying away from Angler is due to the webpage. They havent updated the site for years; I have contacted them twice on this issue with no response. This may not be much to most but I look at it as a negative for their overall business plan.

MT

#7 ·
I think you hit it on the head Mark. I'm trying to convince my father that if you go with a used boat, even a 10 year old boat, as long as it is a good name like a Grady or a Wellcraft and in good condition......spend like 10-15k, and then just go buy a brand new outboard and you've got a brand new boat. More importantly you've got a truly seaworthy boat.

#8 ·
Steamfitter may I ask a question as to why a walk around ? The only reason I am asking is that when I bought my third boat my wife wanted a walk around. We looked at boat shows for two years before I convinced her that a center console with porty potty in the center section would work. To my suprise she went along with the idea after looking at countless boat designs.
Walk arounds are good boats to get out of the rain or if it's your cup of tea but they sure could be hot in the cabin section in the summer. Take a look at this site for boat reviews - with owners responses.

Testy

#9 ·
Well, I'm going to be bringing my girl out, but more importantly my dad will be taking mom out. She's one of those sun worshipers, so the walkaround would be perfect....she can do her thing up front while the guys fish in the back. It also gives you some privacy, if lets say you want to change clothes or go drop the Cosby kids off at the pool.

I really dont see us spending much time in the cabin, I think its really just good for storage and the above mentioned reasons.

If it was up to my father and I we would certainly be looking at a CC, but they just aren't conducive to making the women of the world happy. Not too many comfortable spots to sit while traveling either.....That bench seat in the bow, you get blown away/sprayed like crazy.

This will be our first boat, and I think it's best to go with a WA so we dont have a bad "boating experience".

#15 ·
morning dew wrote:
That is another reason NOT to buy a w/a if you see where I'm comin from !

walkarounds are great...the only drawback is they require more money as they usually have larger outboards and a few more parts that require maintenance. Just a step up from a center console.
I am selling my 23 ft walkaround and trading down to a center console...should save me about 2k per year for my purposes.

#18 ·
Steamfitter638 said:
I'm checkin the web now, looks like aqua sport and sea-fox make some pretty decent looking boats as well........[/qI

I think alot of people would agree with me saying you cannot compare an aquasport with a seafox. In some seaching you will find more complaints about seafox's than aquasport's. Aquasport is not a grady,mako, or whaler but is a mid-class boat.

#20 ·
Have been looking solely for under 20' or thereabouts center consoles with porta pottis. Many are new for 2008, probably a bow to us baby boomers that want to scrimp on gas, but bring the old lady aboard, lol.

This is what I came up with so far:

I left out my description line, but its model, length, beam, weight, draft, max hp, deadrise, dealer--- (some information is missing.)

Triton 195 cc 19' 3" 8' 6" 2150 15" 150 25" 18 ° Knutson, Huntington

Sea Fox 197cc 19' 8" 7' 8" 1900 + 12" 140 25" 19 ° Tuckerton ,NJ

Glasstream 192cc 19' 1" 8' 1900 150 Sea Vill.Northfield, NJ

Century 2001cc 20' 2" 8' 3" 2300 A&M , Mt Sinai

Scout 205 Sportfish 19' 11" 8' 4" 1980 12" 225 Dave Bofill, Freeport

Striper Seaswirl 19cc 19' 8' 3" 2300 14" 175 20 ° Great Oak, St James

Angler 204cc 20' 4" 2200 150 Great Bay, Lindenh

edgewater 205 20' 5" 200 Bridge, Bayville

#21 ·
morning dew wrote:
I think Aqua-Sport is no longer in business.... they made great boats by the way.

Aquasport and Wellcraft boats are own by Genmar Corp. Alot of the two boats are so similar I think they just decided to drop one of them and keep on builder the other.

#22 ·
MARK215 wrote:
morning dew wrote:
I think Aqua-Sport is no longer in business.... they made great boats by the way.

Aquasport and Wellcraft boats are own by Genmar Corp. Alot of the two boats are so similar I think they just decided to drop one of them and keep on builder the other.
I agree with this post. They were identical in many of the models and there really wasn't enough difference in the lines for Genmar to continue both. They were being built in the same factory in the last few years before Aquasport name was discontinued. I loved my 205 Osprey from Aquasport, great ride and well built.

#23 ·
Another good point about the later Aquasport's is that they are 100% fiberglass, no wood transom or stringers that might rot like some other manufactures out there.
I don't know what year Aquasport started buuilding them like that but I know my 1998 is 100% fiberglass

#24 ·
Well,

Went out looking real hard this weekend. Conclusion.....

.....Even more confused now that I looked at more haha. I've been real impressed with the Wellcraft boats though. Also saw a few Cobia out there, I hear these are a good middle of the road boat, but Im not sure how they stack up to a Wellcraft. Seems like the Wellcraft Coastals have a bit of everything, good fishing room, decent looking cabin space, and some room on the bow. The big selling point is seating, as most of the time I'll be out with def. 3 people, but usually 4. A lot of WA boats just dont accommodate seating for 4.

Another line that is catching my eye is the Seaswirl Stripers. These are priced as if they were a Robalo or something, with a new 23' WA going for about 43-45k. But I had one guy tell me this morning that they are the Hyundai of boats. Any truth to this? They LOOK like a good boat, I know that doesnt count for a whole lot though......

#26 ·
boats

Steamfitter638 wrote:
Well,

Went out looking real hard this weekend. Conclusion.....

.....Even more confused now that I looked at more haha. I've been real impressed with the Wellcraft boats though. Also saw a few Cobia out there, I hear these are a good middle of the road boat, but Im not sure how they stack up to a Wellcraft. Seems like the Wellcraft Coastals have a bit of everything, good fishing room, decent looking cabin space, and some room on the bow. The big selling point is seating, as most of the time I'll be out with def. 3 people, but usually 4. A lot of WA boats just dont accommodate seating for 4.

Another line that is catching my eye is the Seaswirl Stripers. These are priced as if they were a Robalo or something, with a new 23' WA going for about 43-45k. But I had one guy tell me this morning that they are the Hyundai of boats. Any truth to this? They LOOK like a good boat, I know that doesnt count for a whole lot though......

Don't worry so much if there is someone who says something negative about a boat you are considering. And no need to make comparisons to grady or whaler or what is a 'price-point' boat. Grady are not the best boats, just one of the priciest, the harleys of boats with a following that will pay a premium to have one. I don't think there is a boat out there that is going to fall apart on you these days. They are all good. Main differences in prices for most of the boats are related to fit and finish, which also does not make for a better boat. Even Scout, known for nice fit and finish has had their share of problems with their 24 abacos related to the fishwell and the hull filling with water on the starb side, listing the boat and unable to drain. The list goes on with most manufacturers having issues with certain models whenever changes are made to designs. Some boats have designs that are great for now but trouble for later, like sealed ****pit decks that make accessing the fuel tank impossible unless you cut out the whole floor, like parkers. Seaswirl stripers are nice boats but you can only access the the bilge from outside the euro-transom, a problem if you are offshore. Some pursuits have a problems with holding water in the cabin, unable to drain properly. These design issues are something you have to accept with the newer boats.

But they will all float and none of them are junk.

Just enjoy shopping around and strike up your best deal and buy what gives you the most boat for your dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.