NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
"Yesterday, on ?Meet the Press,? Hillary Clinton claimed that the Iraqis are changing their ways in part because of the Democratic candidates? ?commitment to begin withdrawing our troops in January of 2009.? So the Democratic Party, having proclaimed that the war is lost and having sought to withdraw U.S. troops, deserves credit for any progress that may have been achieved in Iraq.

That is truly a fairy tale. And it is driven by a refusal to admit real success because that success has been achieved under the leadership of ... George W. Bush. The horror!"

ROTFLMAO!!!

The best proof of major improvements in Iraq is that fact that nobody is talking about it anymore. The media doesn't lead with it on the news anymore because that would mean good news in Iraq and good news for Bush. Now they're focused on the economy, which is something that they had previously ignored while it was roaring right along.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Scott1280 wrote:

The best proof of major improvements in Iraq is that fact that nobody is talking about it anymore.

what is the problem, Scott? Personally, I can't get enough earth shattering crisis updates on Brittany Spears and Dr Phil. My favorite story of the week is when a former US Prez (Willy) decided he had to kiss Al Sharpton's arse. Once again I applaud the Dems for validating Al as an esteemed, honest, fair minded reverend-stateman. A real "voice of the people" that Al is.

say what you want about Rudy. When he was mayor he NEVER felt he had to get "approval" from that POS for ANYTHING.
I am surprised at the Sunday morning pundit gumby's like Russert attacking Hillary, however. What is the liberal media coming to?

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
There was a very similar op ed piece in the WSJ last week written by Mccain and co authored by independent Dem. Lieberman

WSJ- The Surge Worked

Mccain/ Lieberman wrote:
It was exactly one year ago tonight, in a televised address to the nation, that President George W. Bush announced his fateful decision to change course in Iraq, and to send five additional U.S. combat brigades there as part of a new counterinsurgency strategy and under the command of a new general, David Petraeus.

At the time of its announcement, the so-called surge was met with deep skepticism by many Americans -- and understandably so
In fact, they could not have been more wrong. And had we heeded their calls for retreat, Iraq today would be a country in chaos: a failed state in the heart of the Middle East, overrun by al Qaeda and Iran.

Instead, conditions in that country have been utterly transformed from those of a year ago, as a consequence of the surge. Whereas, a year ago, al Qaeda in Iraq was entrenched in Anbar province and Baghdad, now the forces of Islamist extremism are facing their single greatest and most humiliating defeat since the loss of Afghanistan in 2001. Thanks to the surge, the Sunni Arabs who once constituted the insurgency's core of support in Iraq have been empowered to rise up against the suicide bombers and fanatics in their midst -- prompting Osama bin Laden to call them "traitors."

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if McCain manages to get the nod

he needs to break with all convention & ask Lieberman to be his running mate......

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
wader wrote:
he needs to break with all convention & ask Lieberman to be his running mate......

an interesting ticket. I think they would carry the Independents. And McCain's good relation with the media would absorb some of the vicious crucifying the Dems (and their media henchmen) would hail on Lieberman. Interesting...

·
Registered
252 Posts
No doubt, things on the ground have improved tremendously - too bad they didn't start out with a surge force. But the purpose of the surge was to cool things off so that the Iraqi's could get their government together - has that happenned? I hear nothing about progress, or lack of it, regarding the ability of shia, sunni, and kurd to agree on govt issues. Something needs to be done to kick them in their butt's and get them to take control of the country themselves. Am I missing something, or is this no longer reported?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.