NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
although a long ride anybody think thered be yellowfin there?and if im reading the chart right theres a 30 degree break between ocean ographers and munson

This post edited by edwiss67 09:53 PM 01/09/2008

·
Registered
848 Posts
where did you see this info from 70 degree water at the Munson:confused:
check your charts again
Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzzz

This post edited by 06405 10:10 PM 01/09/2008

·
Registered
665 Posts
If that new eddy breaks free and holds together it could be in our area within a couple months... Go March Tuna! It looks like a pretty nice 42 to 65 degree break on the 100f line way to the north, I bet there's BFT there now. If only I bought that canyon battlewagon that was at the Montauk gas dock that everyone was talking about last fall....

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
best thing to do is contact one of the lobster boat that are working the area as asiegel said. They could tell you if the temp out there is for reel and if they have seen any life out there at all lately.

I will talk to my dad to see if he could contact the commercial lobster men that sell to his restraunt. They could probably help allot.

i am in if any body wants run its going to be a little cold on the way out there weather may be a problem but any thing less than 20 knots and under 10 footers isn't to bad:rolleyes:.i am all game for it.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzzz

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
asiegel wrote:
I will bet you there are lobstermen there right now.

I wouldn't bet on that! All of the lobster guys that I know, that fish the edge (Atlantis and Veatch's) out of Point Judith have all of their gear out of the water right now.

·
Registered
842 Posts
MM wrote wrote:
I wouldn't bet on that! All of the lobster guys that I know, that fish the edge (Atlantis and Veatch's) out of Point Judith have all of their gear out of the water right now.

Why is that? Is it due to weather wrecking their gear? I was under the impression that the dark months were the best for offshore lobster.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
asiegel wrote:
MM wrote wrote:

Why is that? Is it due to weather wrecking their gear? I was under the impression that the dark months were the best for offshore lobster.

IIRC its the combination of weather on the gear, them not being able to get out regularly due to the same weather, the additional risks of icing on the boats, and a seasonal depression in prices. At some point someone has mentioned all of those reasons. Which one is the most important and which ones are BS, I really don't know.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Last summer they had a program on the discovery channel called "lobster wars" about the winter lobster industry. It looked like they were working that general area but it may have been somewhere inshore of the 100f line.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If we see them setting gear all thru the month of november in the hudson and right on down the hundred line i dont see why they wouldnt be doing it now.. There can not be that much of a drastic change in 600 ft of water on the bottom do you think?!!? i would think it would be drastically different either during the summer or winter.

going to buy one of those deep gauges and throw it down there.. enquiring minds would like to know the real offshore difference in depth!

Anyone!?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
gusto45 wrote:
I think in that show they said that they take time off around the holidays. Not sure how long that is.

Actually right before the holidays is one of the busierst time of year for lobstermen. The sales of lobster hit their yearly high during the holiday season. Most guys shut down right after the holidays and head to florida! :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.