NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Tautog Population Down, DEC Imposes New Limit on Recreational Catch
Revisions Comply with Fishery Management Requirements

ALBANY, NY (02/04/2008; 1451)(readMedia)-- With the tautog (blackfish) population in decline, the New York State Department of Conservation (DEC) today announced new, emergency regulations to lower the recreational catch limit and shorten the season.

The new regulations, which are effective immediately, lower the catch limit to four per day instead of 10, and move up the end of the 2008 season to April 30 from May 31. The minimum size will remain 14 inches. (Dates for future seasons will change as well; details below.)

The current stock assessment for tautog shows that the population has been overfished, with spawning stock at about one-third of historic levels. Management measures implemented in the late 1990s, as set by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC), have stemmed further population declines but have not been sufficient to rebuild tautog stocks. ASMFC adopts fisheries management plans for individual species or groups of fish. Recent changes to the plan for tautog require states to cut back on the harvest of the fish in order to restore its population. In order to stay in compliance with the plan, New York must reduce the tautog recreational catch by 29 percent this year. A state that doesn?t comply could face a federally imposed ban on all fishing for the species.

The new emergency rules are designed to meet the requirements of the management plan while maintaining access to this fishery for most of New York?s recreational anglers. The changes have been endorsed by the Marine Resources Advisory Council, which is comprised of representatives of the commercial and recreational fishing industry.

The regulations will change the recreational tautog season dates going forward this fall by breaking the season into two portions. Previously, the season ran from Oct. 1 to May 31. Beginning this year, the first portion of the season will run from Oct. 1 to Dec. 20, and the second will run from Jan. 17 to April 30.

Meanwhile, DEC is preparing a public information document that will be released later this year to obtain input on additional measures that might help rebuild the local population of this important sport fish. For additional information about the regulations, contact DEC Marine Resources Division at 631-444-0435.

-30-

This post edited by togmaster 06:59 PM 02/07/2008

·
Registered
331 Posts
The only thing the new regulations mean is one (or several) lousy seasons followed by more years of phenomenal fishing.(As long as both recreational and commercial fishermen follow the regs.)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Sucks for the guys who make a living on this fishery but I think it's a necessary step. This year I personally had some pathetic days of toggin. Fished the north shore once for a total of 1 keeper and the south shore 6 times for about 8 keepers. I know I'm a hack, but the lack of life and the lack of size when there was life (with the exception of the 12 pound fish that my buddy caught and released) was frankly, pretty scary.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
this is BS.

They taketh away,. but they will never giveth back

Just a matter of time I believe before they cut it again...all we'll have left pretty soon are blues, and who wants to fish for those things more than once a year?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
So what magic formula did they use to decide that the period from 12/20 thru 1/16 was vital in the future of Blackfish?

Is that the Mystical "Christmas" spawn period that no one knows about?

I agree that something should be done but since they eliminated the spring fishery, why not make the season Veterans day thru to St. Pats?

This post edited by MisterX 03:02 AM 02/08/2008

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
commfish wrote:
IMPORTANT SPORTFISH is that how it was worded???

Why are you surprised Rob?

Don't you get it man?- The fix is in.

If you are a state only licensed fishermen, the push is on to eliminate you.

I think it's only a few more years for all of us.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
So what magic formula did they use to decide that the period from 12/20 thru 1/16 was vital in the future of Blackfish?

Is that the Mystical "Christmas" spawn period that no one knows about?

The reason NYS DEC ended up choosing this SPECIFIC time period, was information given to them by the marine advisory committee, which pointed out that this time period just before Christmas on till 2 weeks into January, resulted in a rise of unreported catches of blackfish made (yes your unlicensed angler) for the live fish market.

Due to our warmer winters, more boats are remaining in the water to fish for blackfish during December, and it seems this has become another peak period for catching blackfish in the NY Bight, as the fish settle up in larger numbers in specific areas.

This was seen as one way to control those so called 'recreational anglers' who fish ILLEGALY for the market.

It is no surprise as we scan the horizon on a clear, calm day during this time period, and see a number of boats now fishing from 17 fathoms westward into the Jersey shoreline.

Guys this is what has happened, and it will continue to be a tightening up process on the recreational community to control those who think they can go out fishing without a license, and sell these fish alive to the market.

The shame of this is, the party and charter boat industy will be left with NOTHING to fish for inshore as striped bass, and flounders are closed, and little in the way of ling inshore. Unless you are a offshore wreck fishing boat, the season for most of the party and charter boats will now come to a end before Christmas.

Again, as we see more scrutiny is being directed at this slow growing bottom fish, the government fishery regulators will be looking for the strictest controls possible to reduce mortality, and if that means TOTALLY SHUTTING DOWN THIS FISHERY, it will, without any concern to the economic hardships caused to party and charter boat industry. Just take a look at what is going on in Florida with the total extended closure to the grouper fishery.

We have brought this upon ourselves, and as I have stated many times here, regulations will now will be so restrictive to prevent both the over fishing, and at the same time rebuild a fish stock that is at a all time low biomass level.

Enjoy what you have now, because if things do not turn around quickly for the blackfish stocks, a immediate closure may be put in place.

Don't think so....just look at what MAY happen to the state of New Jersey.

The good ole' days were just that....the old days....this is the future of fishery management.

EC NEWELL MAN<>

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
way off

quiknet wrote:
Sucks for the guys who make a living on this fishery but I think it's a necessary step. This year I personally had some pathetic days of toggin. Fished the north shore once for a total of 1 keeper and the south shore 6 times for about 8 keepers. I know I'm a hack, but the lack of life and the lack of size when there was life (with the exception of the 12 pound fish that my buddy caught and released) was frankly, pretty scary.

Russ the season was off all over. Last year was to good I kind of figured it would be a bust after the fishing 2006-2007.

I am curious to see what happens this year for the water temps are still extremly high for this season.
Offshore last weekend we had 44.1 and the Tog still have perfect color.
At the end of DEc the little cold spell we had the fish came up cold ,white, and curled a bit.
Now last week they came up perfect and warm so I can only asume the water temps are going ot rise with these 40 to 60 deg days

I think we will have one more cold snap for 2 weeks and then possible snow in March and we are home free.
This seems to be the weather patteren we have been having lately.

As far as the regs. The problem is now the MSA is so tight that the demand will never happen.With the new plan the cuts are so off base they have nothing left to cut. So this is going to turn into a closuer on many species period.

I have said this from my fist posr on Noreast and many of you don't seem to understand the facts about letting the regs get light.

ONCE THEY TAKE IT YOU NEVER GET IT BACK

Now this is not only for rec's but commerical as well

So now the whole game plan has such a impact on us all that maybe for once the rec's and comm can fight together as one to build potect the fisheries but not shut us out completely.

The data is flawed and there is no way with all the scinece in the world you can tell the stock mass of all the fish in the ocean.

It don't take a scienctisit to see the stocks are a bit off.
If they continue at this rate we all will be doing catch reasle if allowed.

Anyone want to pay me to do catch and relase charters?

Well if so contact me for that may be the only thing in the next 5 years.

Will any of you be paying a catch and relase party boat fair.
Well that will soon be the case.

TOGMASTER CHATERS
CATCH AND RELASE ONLY
Brought to you by our local goverment and PETA

I BE WILLING TO DO THE FIRST ONES ANY TAKERS ?

·
Registered
972 Posts
togmaster wrote:

TOGMASTER CHATERS
CATCH AND RELASE ONLY

1-LarryNoBoat(my usual fare?;)) But really I have already been on trips where I paid $100 and released all my fish.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
i hear you larry. but how many will follow your lead? not many, i fear. and that blows for the industry as a whole. but the industry is live flesh and blood. people with families and mortgages and boat loans and such. truly is a shame.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Give back

LarryNoBoat wrote:
togmaster wrote:

TOGMASTER CHATERS
CATCH AND RELASE ONLY

1-LarryNoBoat(my usual fare?;)) But really I have already been on trips where I paid $100 and released all my fish.

Well I am not saying we need to shut down everything but the little bit helps.
Larry knows I have been throwing back the big spawners and larger fish for they are the fish that need to be protected for the larger tog seems to be taken by the Trophy hunter these days.

I have fished with others on a strict catch and release trip.
the most important partis to ensure you release these fish unharmed
Those of you coming to the Noreast fishng show in March EC and I will discuss proper release of fish and how to handle them for netter survial.

Thats the biggest problem with ctach and release. If improper handleing is used the fish will have a higher rate of death

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
will be soon

Yes Rasta that is so ture.
Now that we are seeing so many larger fish these days it make me think is the the begining of the end ?

Funny when I bring up the fact that many of these larger fish are from down south I get blasted for the science says me wrong.

But where did they come from?

Years ago in the late 80's thru the 90's a 15 lb fish was rare.
Now you see fish well over 15 in our waters
Whay is that?

Easy Southern fish moved north simple as that

Or should I say the Buffalo went North

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.