NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering why Japanese fishermen don't use mono lines for assist hooks. There are good reasons why they favor Kevlar lines for assit hooks, but why not mono lines ?

I am convinced mono line should be fine for assist hooks here after I fished cod in Korea as we don't have many line cutting fishes like king mackerel or baracuda. Most Korean cod jig fishermen gave up expensive Kevlar lines and are using mono lines with excellent results. It is proved that fish are not line shy even though we use colorful Kevlar lines as they regard the hooks and lines as part of jigs (bait). So using heavy mono lines shouldn't hurt either.
How do you think ?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
No way. I wouldn't use mono unless there was nothing else available. High test mono is stiff and easily abraided, and worst of all - it's got memmory. The first good fish you hook will probably twist the **** out of your mono assist cord, and it will get all curly-q'd and won't lie right against the jig, which will probably cause the whole thing to twist on the retrieve, and more than likely foul with the main line on the fall.

But don't panic - I found an excellent low cost Kevlar substitute - 400lb 49 strand cable. I caught a bunch of fish on it on our Mag Bay trip. 250lb cable got kinked and twisted a bit on the third or fourth fish, but the 400lb stuff looked brand new. Probably still does, hanging on the wall of that grouper's cave. :mad:

There is one trick to making cable assist hooks - the crimped connection to the hook needs to be shrink-tubed to the shank of the hook in order to keep it stiff, otherwise the hook tends to foul on the cable or the standing line a lot. The crimped connection to the solid ring should, of course, have full freedom of movement.

Ok, that was my court ordered useful post for the year. We now return to the regularly scheduled hurtful commentary. Stay tuned.

This post edited by FishWisher 02:37 PM 12/24/2007

Attachments

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,
I would replace the assist hook once I fight a nice tuna with it, like we do chunking for tuna. So it doesn't matter the mono line has memory or not.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Nah, still not a good idea. Switching hooks after every tuna instead of getting back in the water ASAP would suck, especially if it means making crimped connections with chafing springs. Not to mention that you'll probably run into the same hook fouling problem I had when I started using cable, and there is no easy fix, since mono will get damaged by the heat if you try to shrink tube it.

This post edited by FishWisher 12:12 PM 12/25/2007

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
MIke that really was useful
I thnk the cable idea is excellent.. especially targeting some toothy critters. I am also suprised that the 250# cable got kinked and twisted. I would not have thought that could happen how do you suppose the fish were able to get the leverage? Twsiting it against the jig maybe?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
No idea - you'll have to ask Ryan. I gave him my lucky jig from the morning session, he promptly reeled in a 4lb YT, and the hook came out of that fish all screwed up. I don't know what he did. :confused:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Expensive

20 meters of 240# Veritas Kevlar assist line cost 2100 yen or $18.36.
They claim that 5 meters will rig 30 hooks.

20 meters (that's a spool) --- 120 assist hooks --- .15 per assist hook for line, expensive???

In a meter there are 39.3700787 inches --- so, if you used 8 inches of Kevlar per assist rig you'd get 5 rigs per meter and 100 total in a 20 meter spool. So, the tackle web site's info is accurate --- I would guesstamate that one would use less than 8 inches of Kevlar per assist rig.

Sounds like the least expensive element of fishing --- it's 2.00 for a cup of drip coffee.

PS --- toothy critters --- this season, 70# wahoo on 240# Kevlar with the fish's teeth up on the Kevlar --- In most cases you can catch school tuna all day on one assist hook --- if you want to go to an added expense then shrink wrap --- this is helpful in gettting more use out of a rig: it covers the line and helps minimize fraying.

PS to the PS --- Cable --- this is an option and these rigs are commerically available --- Angler's Pro Shop and others --- bought a few packs for the WCLR --- never used them --- planned to put them on for wahoo but there are way more productive lures than Butterfly with assist hooks --- or at least that was my experience.

This post edited by BobWheeler 05:55 PM 12/25/2007

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changing assist hooks is not difficult as you think. It takes only 30 seconds if assist hooks are ready to use.
Even I use assist hooks with Kevlar lines, I found that it doesn't last long and I have to replace them frequently.

I am just wondering whether the use of mono line could attract more fish or not as I observed that guys using light mono leader on assist hooks got more bites from cod.

This post edited by KILSONG 10:23 AM 12/26/2007

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
At a guess - those cod were attracted to the movement of the hooks rigged on light mono. That's obviously not an option for tuna. As far as ease of rigging goes, it's realy hard to beat looping on a Kevlar asssit. They do get "fuzzed" after a couple of fish, but I use them anyway. I figure it'll take a lot of tuna to wear through 500lb Kevlar cord. I haven't retired one from active duty yet.

Bob, have you got a link for that bragain basement assist cord? It's a very good price you quoted.

This post edited by FishWisher 10:46 AM 12/26/2007

·
Registered
429 Posts
Assist Line

This is the web site --- its in Japan and due to shipping probably not worth dealing with for a single item ---- but here is there email address: http://www.plat.co.jp/english/english_top.htm

When I first got interested in this gear I bought some stuff from them and they are really professional --- good service --- now I would tend to use Angler's Pro Shop --- I can go to their shop, talk fishing and look around. The line is a straight ahead item but with other things its nice to be able to look around and actually check the things out prior to buying.

This post edited by BobWheeler 06:52 PM 12/26/2007

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The use of mono line can give you option when Kevlar or any other materials are not available when you fish, as mono lines are always available and it is very easy to tie.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Korean fishermen uses lighter mono lines for assist hooks than the main line and leader lines, and adjust their drag for assist mono lines so that they can save their jigs once jigs get hung up at the bottom. I think it is very smart move as Japanese jigs are very expensive.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You know, Kil, upon some relfection I found an application where heavy mono (in this case 120lb fluoro) is the only acceptable assist hook material. Namely, in Fishwisher's Amazing Swimbait Tuna Conversion* (FCC approval pending). That said, it's a titanic pain in the ass to rig properly, but there is no other option I could find.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I beg to differ - that doesn't look right. Did you crimp to a split ring? :confused: And the hook looks like it will get fouled up on the mono. I stand by my original statement - there is no compelling reason to use anything but Kevlar for metal jigs. With the swimbait, I had to have a stiff material and a rigid connection (i.e. a knot) that won't let the hook stick in the soft plastic. That's not a concern with the iron.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.