NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I allways wondered this. I know that hull, its displacement figures into a boats offshore ablitys, but what are the smaller boats & builders that you see out there, or would consider taking an overnight canyon trip.

Thanks, Alan

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Allen,
I know of boats as small as 25 ft heading out for an over nighter at the canyon and I have seen boats as small as 19 ft 40 miles out at the Virginia.On flat days it can be done but I don't recommend it.Its not worth the risk.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aint worth the risk, thats true.
so basiclly your lookin @ a 30'er minium for canyon runs??
Those 31 Bertrams look questionable with thier low gunnels. I think that boats knicknamed " washing machine" or something,
Thanx, Alan

·
Banned
166 Posts
Moppie? Thats because they are a wet boat.

Alan, I used to run my buddies 25 Betram offshore all the time and it only have twin four cyls in it. Not a problem.

Smallest boat I ever been in offshore is a 17 ft Chinook Kayack about 30 miles out. Nice summer doldrums. Paddling with the whales. Heres a picture of Tony, a crew memmber of mine a couple of years ago on a trip on Stellwagen Bank about 20 miles out off Boston.

Gonna try to catch a giant bluefin on my 17 ft inflateable this summer out on Jeffries LEdge in Maine.

Capt Walt

·
Registered
139 Posts
HERE IN THE GULF OF MAINE, IN THE SUMMER MONTHS LATE JULY AUG AND SEPT
I FISH QUITE REGUARLY FROM MY 20' AQUASPORT C.C.
I HAVE BEEN SUCESSFUL IN RELEASING SEVERAL BLUEFIN AND MAKOS AS WELL
AS THE LOCAL REGULAR BLUE DOGS, WEATHER IS THE REAL FACTOR AND A GOOD
FORECAST IS MY GUIDE.THE DISTANCE TO JEFFERYS IS APPRX 30 MILES
DUE SOUTH AND TO PLATTS IS APPRX 35,WE ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE A HOT INSIDE BITE IN THE LATE SUMMER AND DONT HAVE TO TRAVEL ALL THAT FAR,KNOWING YOUR FUEL CONSUMPTION IS CRITICAL AS WELLAS A GOOD GPS
AND SAFETY GEAR I.E EPIRB,SURVIVAL SUITS AND A VALISE STYLE RAFT HELP MAKE THE TRIP MORE COMFERTABLE.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Walt thanx for the comeback, that you in that kayayky ? looks like a perfect Orca top water plug, if he bit ya he'd spit you out though, too salty!.
Im pretty sure 'bout this as i read it couple times, Moppie was Dick Bertrams's wife's name.
Maybe she worked as a janitor?

·
Registered
299 Posts
For us how far we go depends on the weather when we leave and the forecast for the day. I fish off my buddys 23 ft. Regulator CC, we've been to T.Tower and would have hit the canyon but we were time limited that day. we go to local wrecks in fairly snotty conditions depending on the days forecast. On nice days I have seen plenty of small (17 ft.) CC out about 25 miles. I havent been on an overnight canyon trip yet but I have heard of those occasional nasty squalls out there which would lead me to choose the boat carefully. I hear of plenty of people doing canyon day trips in smaller Mako's, Gradys, Parkers, etc... When going out, no matter how nice the weather my biggest concern is the engine (if its a single).

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive had my v19' Carolina Skiff out around 10 m. tops on a really nice day, those guys going out 25 m. in thier 17's are really pushing it. I know Proline, Edgewater ect. are big 17's but if it kicks up to 4-5's suddenly I wouldnt want to pound it back. The 23 Regulator's a schweet boat, Id push the limits of that baby allthough dont think the canyon.
Alan

This message was edited by Scalawag on 1-26-02 @ 6:54 PM

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Scalawag,

A guy I know used to cross from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini in a 13 foot Whaler, a 50 mile run across the Gulfstream. Personally I thought he was nuts, but I have seen those 13's in some amazingly rough water.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is nuts, they must've been young. Few years back I ran my @ the time my 600lb v16' Car-Skiff from J.I. along the beach checking out a report of a lingering school of cows 3 miles west of F.I. in January. The thing is the water was cold{ never found them} .
I also fished the macks in early spring in my 1200lb. 19 with water temps high 40's 8-9 mi. out.
When you factor in cold water it makes it much riskier to push the limits , it plays on your psyche more cuz obviously you aint gonna last long if you end up swimming.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Twenty years ago there was a guy who sailed out of the Gone Fishing Marina in Montauk. He sailed regularly with a Ted Williams type bass boat that could not have been more than 16 or 17 ft. long. The freeboard was no more than 24 in. - even at the bow. Someone casually told me one day that the guy would regularly go shark fishing at the Butterfish Hole, which at its shortest distance is approx. 10 mi. from the Point. I figured that the person telling me this was b.s.-ing me until, one day at the Montauk Marine Basin, some guy comes up to me and says that some nut in a bass boat just weighed in a 160lb. mako. Talk about a death wish! Man, I dunno. Some people deserve an early calling.

Capt. Jerry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't know what the smallest boat would be but I for one would prefer as much boat under me as possible. Someday I hope to have one 30' or so to make the run boat will have to fish closer till then. With a good boat you can still hit some good areas. In the last year or so from my 18'cc Grady we have fished Coxes ledge, the mudhole , sharks ledge , Jennys horn , Butterfish hole and at stellwagon. Preparation and weather are the keys to success and safety. Won't go farther than a good hrs run to a port or safe haven. Usually am with another boat also. By all means play it as safe as possible. outlaw

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
In my opinion, how you take care of your boat and it's safety/emergency equipment is more important than the size of the boat. This past summer, I'm sure mostly everybody on this board read about the boat that sank while fishing at hudson canyon. I think that boat was a 45' Ocean(?). In november, I was fishing the west jetty in moriches inlet, and on the horizon you could see the smoke of a boat burning. I think that boat was another big sportfisherman. Obviously, boat size didn't help these guys. My gut feeling is that a boat that's less than 25'is a little iffy for the edge. The only real thing stopping anyone from going to the canyon (besides common sense) is range, and most small boats don't have it. Conservatively, you should have enough fuel to get out there, come back, and get out there again. For fishing the canyon off L.I, that usually means at least 240n.m range (more if you want to troll).

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The last scheduled shark trip of the season last year, the weather reports were-Winds-10kts. or less, Seas 2ft. or less! We hit Shinn. Inlet and it looked bad! Well, I said it will calm down further offshore-WRONG! I went out about 12Mi. doing 8kts.(I cruise at 25). Well needless to say the 6ft. seas had us beat up far before we used the 1st. bucket of chum. When I asked the crew if they wnnted to but out the 2nd. bucket or call it a day, they jumped out of their seats and started to crank in the rods! NUFF SAID!

P.S I have an experienced crew, also my boat is a 23ft. Steigercraft I/O

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have gone out to the Hudson Canyon from Jones Inlet (80+ miles) on a 27 foot Conch center console for trolling tuna on day trips but not overnight. Twin engines a good hull and all needed saftey equipment with a bit of sense and it can and will be done. As long as you check the weather and sea reports and have the range its not a bad ride. I cant wait for the weather to come so we can go for more. Good luck Tarheel

·
Registered
299 Posts
I guess time would be a big factor in a canyon day trip in a smaller boat.You lose a lot of fishing time on the ride there and back. If you end up getting skunked it can show to be a tough day. By the way does anyone remember a few years ago a couple of kids landing a very large mako from a 15 ft. Whaler?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just my two cents but I think the guys at the National Marine Weather us the local fortune teller. I do at least 10 canyon trips a summer out of Shine**** and almost half the time their wrong. They'll say 3-4 subsiding to 2-3 and you'll get there and see 6-8 foot seas. Late last season was in a tourney out of Shine****, forcast was decentmost boats turned around.Worst trip of my life (50 foot Hatteras) most of the crew sick. If it comes on quick out there, thereis no place to hide. I would not go out to the canyons overnight on less than a 30+ boat. besides hull size and comfort, does a 24 to 28 (twin engines only) have fuel for 250 miles plus troll,room for ice to ice down and pack a couple of YFTs, a couple of crew, flats of butterfish, cans of chum. offshore lifevests, life raft, epirb, radar, backup hand held GPS and VHF, super fitst-aid kit and knowledge thereof, and maybe some emersiom suits. Like I said to do it right and to do it safely mid thirties. If your the Capt. you are responsible for the saftey of your crew. Just because you can get there and back doesn't mean you should do it a flats boat and jerry cans will get you to the canyon. The weather is ushually ok but it can change and change quickly and hoping Al Roker is right this weekend could have serious consequences

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.