NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that squid is the best bait for catching skates.Any hook #5 or larger will be good I find large fluke hooks to be best.Long casts are not the way to go,shorter casts will do the job best.I find the beach just west of sore thumb an exelent area to hunt these criters !!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Jud,

Strips of squid or whole??

I've found that I get good amounts of skates with LARGE pieces of squid or even whole squid... Even when I use clams, the bigger the better. I've found that using any hook works cause they seem to swallow everything... Usually the hook is buried 2-3 inches deep..

I also use 8/0 Gami Octo's... Big, but get the job done.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. I know some people eat and enjoy skate wings { I tryed it & was repulsed} Anyways you are targeting skate ? I think those things would eat anything. While using skimmers bass fishing I catch alot sometimes & find it annoying. I once caught one tht was huge at least 25 lbs. But then again I like little tunnys and most people consider them catfood. Something tells me your puttin us on though. Every few months this site gets its " Skate " discussion going , looks like it's 'bout to happen once again. One tip for skate location is the "big Meadowbrook ",west side. For some reason theres more skate there then a roller rink,
Ok that was a bad one, So how do you prepare your Skate?? Do ya make the ole fake scallops?
Alan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some times if there are skates in the area there are others as well but the ones you target dont bite.these other fish can keep you buisy in the mean time and might be beter than catching nothing.you can order skate in some resterants in NYC,go figure.if you hook is buried deep in the fish you may need to take slack out of your line.I dont often eat skate and i will cook the wings on the BBQ.I know that skate is a dirty word and a GOOD joke source,so if you are so inclined please make a joke ,I canlaugh with you too .I cut my squid like calamari but widerquote:

This message was edited by JudFisher on 11-22-01 @ 11:21 PM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some times if there are skates in the area there are others as well but the ones you target dont bite.these other fish can keep you buisy in the mean time and might be beter than catching nothing.you can order skate in some resterants in NYC,go figure.if you hook is buried deep in the fish you may need to take slack out of your line.I dont often eat skate and i will cook the wings on the BBQ.I know that skate is a dirty word and a GOOD joke source,so if you are so inclined please make a joke ,I canlaugh with you tooquote:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Dear ErnieP,

Since you have in-depth knowlege of how to catch a Skate, I was wondering if you can tell me how to avoid them, while keeping my offering appealing to other fish, like Bass, Blues, and Weaks. To each his own...

Flounder

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Anyone know the IGFA record for skate? I think I had the grand-daddy last night. This thing was H-U-G-E and looked prehistoric! :)

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
You folks need to try skate wings (with the skin on the dark side removed) poached in seasoned chicken stock with scallions and garlic. Just heat up the stock to a boil, drop in the wings, cover and remove from the heat. After 10 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness of the wings, the succulent meat will slide off the cartilage.
I usually drain the wings and then put them in a hot oven (400 degrees) while I reduce 1/2 cup of the stock, add arrowroot to thicken and finish with a liberal dose of capers?a little sherry is also a nice touch. Take the hot wings out of the oven, cover with sauce and serve. It taste like a fine sole and is great eating. Don?t waste your time on small skates, you?re better off getting them from a good fish monger.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have to concur with Mr. Laptew.

Skate wings are DELICIOUS if prepared properly. Skates are like sharks. They have no kidneys and need to be bled and de-winged immediately after catching them. That way you can avoid the ammonia taste that can ruin an otherwise fabulous soft, tender, and sweet wing meat.

Think I'm joking? They serve skate in NYC's finer 4 star restaurants like Jean-George.

By the way, in my experience, skates will hit anything. Worms, clams, squid strips, chunks of anything, rigged eels and even small plugs.

Just my $0.02.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Flounder do you fish from a boat or on land? I fish mostly open beach And find the most skates during low water on flat bottoms or close to it,so I cast out further to avoid them or faster moving water.or use a float to keep you bait off the bottom.

This message was edited by JudFisher on 12-11-01 @ 8:22 PM

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
JudFisher,
I believe Mr. Flounder fishes from the suds... (am I right Flouder).

Jud... I have a very straightforward and honest question to ask you. Can you honestly tell me that you actually like to target skate?

What?s da deal pal? ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Alberto,I use to target skates with my nephews and other kids .they are so amazed when one of us pulled one up.Most kids know what a fish look like and dont even know what a skate is..
Besides,that was all I could catch.people like you help me to catch real fish. talk to you soon Jud happy holidays

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.