NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noted fishing writer and multiple world record holder Einar Doc Grell passed away on January 17, and was laid to rest today.

He held a number of IGFA records that included fluke, winter flounder and weakfish, all caught in NY waters. He once told me of the story when he took his 7-pound all tackle record winter flounder. Very nice guy, and a great angler and writer.

RIP Doc

This post edited by noreast 05:08 PM 01/22/2008

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Doc Grell happened to be one of the top fishing names in Long Island waters during the seventies and eighties. He was considered one of the sharpest inshore fishermen on the south shore, and his articles written in the Long Island Fishermen during the mid seventies, were enjoyed by many like myself.

I know he had a number of IGFA world and line class records for local caught fish, and he may still hold a few of these records to this day.

Good guy willing to share his secrets and a great fishermen, one of the true legends of Long Island Fishing that will be missed.

Great Fishing where ever you are Doc..........

EC NEWELL MAN><

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I remember seeing him talk at a Babylon Tuna Club fishing seminar. He was the current holder of the IGFA all tackle record weakfish. He was great. I remember those giant winter flounder that he caught on I believe the Fire Island Reef.

I would love to get reprints of his LIF articles. Anyone have any ideas of how that might happen?

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

Am sorry to read this. My prayers go out to his family.

Interesting! I was thinking about him today and could not remember his name. Yes, his articles were always a good read.

Neil

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had the privilege to know doc Grell in his later years. I had heard about him from when I use to work on the bay. Later he belonged to the gym that I belonged to. His health was deteriorating but he was always entertaining to talk to. He was one of those guys that you could talk to for hours and most often have your sides aching from laughter. He was a character and a great guy.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
sorry

sorry to hear about docs passing, grew up reading his articles in the other magazine, surely he will be missed by many, my prayers are with his family and friends.
carl
offracing

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
A L.I. Fishing Icon / Legend

A buddy of mine, who wasn't a fisherman by any definitiopn of the word, always talked about him with such reverence. They had taught together at Half Hollow Hills SD (as did Capt. Bill Russo of the Orient Star). As a result, I always made sure that I read all of his published articles. In fact, I am sure that I have some of those readings stashed away in the archives / Jerry's fishing library. If I can find some, perhaps I will scan and place a few on these pgs. I am sure all of us could benefit.

Rest iin Peace, Doc.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
schoolman wrote:
A buddy of mine, who wasn't a fisherman by any definitiopn of the word, always talked about him with such reverence. They had taught together at Half Hollow Hills SD (as did Capt. Bill Russo of the Orient Star). As a result, I always made sure that I read all of his published articles. In fact, I am sure that I have some of those readings stashed away in the archives / Jerry's fishing library. If I can find some, perhaps I will scan and place a few on these pgs. I am sure all of us could benefit.

Rest iin Peace, Doc.

Rest in peace doc. When I read the title I thought to myself that name sounds familiar. I am a HHH High School West Grad, I never had him as a teacher but I knew of him (Capt Bill I did have as a teach).

He will be missed.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Technology at its Finest

From the basement archives to your computer screen, here are some articles that I found authored by the Doc. I thought that you fishing newcomers could benefit from this very knowledgeable man's words, and for you old salts .... stop drooling over the thoughts of tricking weakies on bunker, shrimp and Salt Dogs. (Those were the days! :):mad:
)

This post edited by schoolman 04:02 PM 01/25/2008

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.