NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Everybody should read the article.

Great article

I have said all along that the decimation of menhadden stocks affects all aspects of marine life. The article showed that the role of the menhadden is not just bait.

Menhadden protect the bays too. We have a huge problem with algae blooms. Considering a menhadden filter 4 gallons of water per minute, the obvious reduction of amounts menhadden in our bays shows a direct affect of unbalancing the eco system with over harvest.

I think menhadden landing have been drasticaly reduce or maybe even eliminated in New York. It will be interesting to see if we see a reduction in the brown / red tides and larger stocks of menhadden.

LooneyTunes
Dave

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
LooneyTunes wrote:
Great article

I have said all along that the decimation of menhadden stocks affects all aspects of marine life. The article showed that the role of the menhadden is not just bait.

Menhadden protect the bays too. We have a huge problem with algae blooms. Considering a menhadden filter 4 gallons of water per minute, the obvious reduction of amounts menhadden in our bays shows a direct affect of unbalancing the eco system with over harvest.

I think menhadden landing have been drasticaly reduce or maybe even eliminated in New York. It will be interesting to see if we see a reduction in the brown / red tides and larger stocks of menhadden.

LooneyTunes
Dave

NY hasn't had reduction fishing for menhaden for years, and the bays have not improved. You're kidding yourself if you think a few more fish can cure the problems cause by peope dumping millions of tons of pollutants into the water.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very little local supply in recent years for the lobster fleet, soon there will be no bunker,no herring = no lobster bait = no more buggin' : I'm gonna need a new job soon along with everyone else who's dropped out of this fishery already.

·
Registered
579 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
LooneyTunes wrote:
Great article

LooneyTunes
Dave

NY hasn't had reduction fishing for menhaden for years, and the bays have not improved. You're kidding yourself if you think a few more fish can cure the problems cause by peope dumping millions of tons of pollutants into the water.

Mike,

I think that fertizer (amongst other pollutans) leaching into the waters is a major source of the problem.

The million dollar question is who can produce an effective envriomentally friendly fertilizer similar to the cost of the products that we use now.

I don't think legislation will even help. It's too hard to keep in check.

This one requires a "silver bullet"

But I think that you would be kidding yourself if you didn't beleive that more filters (menhaden) in the bay won't help. Bare minimum it may benefit clams and muscles. In my heart of hearts I believe that more filters will reduce the destruction of red / brown tides.

LooneyTunes
Dave

LooneyTunes
Dave

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Last year there were more adult menhaden in Narragansett bay than anyone ever remembers seeing before, and they hung around the bay all summer, rather than leaving in August like they usually do. I know there were plenty of menhaden in the CT harbors. Why didn't they go into NY harbors? Ot maybe they did but no one was commercially fishing for them?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
To all those touting the benefits of Omega fatty acids, maybe the claims are true, maybe they are bunk and maybe they are bunker.

The fisherman down in the Chesapeake Bay have no doubts about the negative effects of vacuuming up much of the bunker on both water quality and striped bass.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Nice to know that there is an alternative

GradySailfish wrote:

They already make several environmentally friendly fertilizers. As a matter of fact I use this on my lawn and over the past two seasons it has worked better then the Scotts stuff I used ot buy.
Ringer Lawn Restore Fertilizer

Excellent link,

I am willing to do my part and pay a couple of extra bucks. I hope it works as good as Scotts.

I think that all homes near the water should be required to use natural products. The problem is that there is no way to regulate it.

LooneyTunes
Dave

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Don't be fooled!

That stuff may be all natural, but its still going to ruin the bays. The problem is that what the lawn needs is nitrogen, so all fertilizers will contain nitrogen. But when that same nitrogen gets washed off the lawn and into the by, it still feeds plants, but this time the plants are algae, which bloom and cause red tides, hypoxic conditions, etc. etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.