NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Scary.

"The estimated number of sexually mature adult fish had crashed to less than 13 percent of what it had been four decades earlier. Although northern New England had once been the scene of the largest menhaden fishery, adult fish had not been sighted north of Cape Cod since 1993."

Shift this "bunker free zone" a few miles south and Long Island will be next to not see the bunker.

Between Broadwater and the new tunnel, and now the threat of the bunker disappearing, along with the heavily overfished herring, what will our grandkids fish for..

oh wait they'll be working in slave labor camps for the Chinese and won't be able to afford or have the time to fish in the dead sea.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Stop Fishing

The only solution is to stop fishing and take up hunting,.....................for politicians.

Thats why they have Fishing AND Hunting shows.

We can _itch and moan all we want, or we CAN do something.

Get Involved.

This post edited by eisey 01:45 PM 02/06/2008

·
Registered
109 Posts
keep takeing those omega pills

for those of you that are so worried about the bunker and stop over fishing then stop takeing the omega pills because not to many people know that about 85% of the oil for the pills comes from bunker..

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
Why stop at depleting bunker stocks? Let's continue to do the same with other forage species this way we can ensure a complete destuction and collapse of the resource. And I agree, it is pretty scary because it's not a matter of IF, but of WHEN. My humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Red tide is no joke!

I was in florida on the gulf coast a couple weeks after Catrina. I tried to go grouper fishing, but the storm kicked up the red tide, we had to go over 40 miles offshore to get to moderatly clean water and still we couldn't get a fish in the box.

Here's what I don't understand, OPEC was smart enough to figure out that if they don't slow down and take it easy, they will run themselves out of buisness. why can't our commercial fisheries figure that out for themselves. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Don't get me wrong, I understand that fishing is some peoples livlyhood and I don't want them to go out of buisness. But a single company with 61 ships and over 30 plains, someone's getting some fat pockets out of that and we're all gonna pay for it.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Red Tide..

n 2005 the Canadian red tide was discovered to have come further south than it has in years prior by a ship called The Oceanus, closing shellfish beds in Maine and Massachusetts and alerting authorities as far south as Montauk (Long Island, NY)to check their beds. Experts who discovered the reproductive cysts in the seabed warn of a possible spread to Long Island in coming years, halting the area's fishing and shellfish industry, which has endured for hundreds of years[, and threatening the tourist trade, which constitudes a significant portion of the 118-mile-long island's economy.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Conservation

Around here when someone mentions just taking what you NEED and OBEY regulations. They get shouted down. And like others said before, Hey they have to make a living. Times change, THOUSANDS of STEEL workers lost jobs here in this country, Thousands of Auto workers too! I guess if we have to cut back on the way business is being done, yes many commercials will lose jobs. If they don't cut back on over harvesting the sea, they'll lose their jobs eventuelly (sp?) when the fish disapear! Look at what they have done to fishing grounds in other places of the world, where the sea is void of fish. We have to LEARN that we can only take so much, and protect where they breed and the nurseries for these fish and the food chain THEY feed on, like planktons and krill etc. etc. People just seem to think, " how can what I take hurt", it adds up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.