NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
112,309 Posts
mopedrunner wrote:
eskew wrote:
Wheres the video Mopedrunner ????????

Gee's really don't know why it did not post. Thanks to Canyonfvr he saved the day.

moped..

you didnt name the link ]NAME LINK HERE[/url].........

if you would of named it would of worked

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Short of the US sending a carrier group over there they arent going to stop , slow down or even consider obeying the internationl fishing regs. Even if the entire US banned the sale of tuna imported and domestic for grocery stores , restaraunts ect.... we wouldnt even make a dent. The japanese are like Locusts of the sea when it comes to that sht.

I read a short fictional story years ago called the last bluefin or the last of the giants or the last tuna. Somthing along thoose lines and it gave me chills. Im sorry I dont have any reference info on it. I tried to search it but wasn't able to find anything. I remember it being a neat read on the throne tho.

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
BadLatitude wrote:
Even if the entire US banned the sale of tuna imported and domestic for grocery stores , restaraunts ect....
we wouldnt even make a dent.

The japanese are like Locusts of the sea when it comes to that sht.

Japan and the United States are the largest consumers of tuna
using about 36 percent and 31 percent,
respectively, of the world's catch.

Japan 36%
US 31%

In the U.S., Americans eat about one billion pounds of canned or pouched tuna a year.

Tunafact.com

But please, continue on with your lecture

its very informative

:)

HJ EDUCATES IN 08

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wow the US consumes almost the same amount of blurfin as japan? I dont really believe that when we are selling fish to the japs from our docks.

I didnt mean canned tuna

This post edited by BadLatitude 02:24 PM 02/02/2008

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
BadLatitude wrote:
Wow the US consumes almost the same amount of blurfin as japan? I dont really believe that when we are selling fish to the japs from our docks.

I didnt mean canned tuna

That is for all tuna.

The US IMPORTS more Bluefin tuna than we Export,
lots of hungry white people that like to eat BFT also.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
I heard there are about 500 Japanese sushi restaurants in Manhattan alone.
I am sure many of them serve bluefin for sushi and sashimi.

Only the high end ones. most of the ones I've eaten in are serving yellowfin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problem with the fishery is. That here in the states we have size limits and quotas which we fallow. Over seas they have no quotas or size limits. If it gets caught in the net its done for. We might catch a fish here and find that it is to small or to large. So we release it. It swims over across the pond and it is done for.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I tried to find info on consumption per person average as well as yearly consumption numbers backed up by some form of collection data by species ect and wasnt able to find anything.

However I did find one little clip from CNN japan in 1997 that stated the bluefins numbers are 9% of what they were in 1960 and its estimated the catch in japan needs to be reduced 35% to even make a dent in their decline. 10 years ago and I doubt anything has been done. So we keep our glutton factor. By this I mean. Hey we have our regs thats "our share" Yet i doubt the US market and fleets are going to stop fishing them to extend the rest of the worlds gorging on them. Its kind of a 2 headed monster. Im sure the rest of the countrys feel the same about us.

·
Banned
7,820 Posts

BadLatitude wrote:
I tried to find info on consumption per person average as well as yearly consumption numbers backed up by some form of collection data by species ect and wasnt able to find anything.
Not sure why you are interested in the per person (per capita) consumption numbers,
in the context of this discussion, they are essentially meaningless.

But despite what your assumptions might be,
unfortunately, the Japanese are NOT the #1 consumers of seafood in the world on a per capita basis.
They come in #4 with less than the half consumption of the #1 country on the list.

On a per capita basis, Americans are the #1 consumers of meat,
we eat far more beef per person than the Chinese do.
BUT, if you look at the countries TOTAL CONSUMPTION,
which is what your initial comments were about on this thread,
then China consumes more beef than the US as a whole on a yearly basis.

BadLatitude wrote:
its estimated the catch in japan needs to be reduced 35% to even make a dent in their decline.
10 years ago and I doubt anything has been done.
Japan cut their southern quota by 50% this year,
remains in effect for the next 5 years.

Japan also started experimenting with the breeding of Bluefin Tuna over 30 years ago,
and are currently the only country in the world to successfully culture, raise and market captive breed Bluefin tuna.
You can purchase BFT that has been produced 100% from aquaculture/mariculture methods.

BadLatitude wrote:
Yet i doubt the US market and fleets are going to stop fishing them to extend the rest of the worlds gorging on them.
If the US fleet did not export a single BFT,
there would NOT be enough BFT to supply our own demand in this country.

We are a net IMPORTER of BFT,
no different than Japan,
we can't catch enough from our own waters to satisfy our own domestic demand for the fish.
Same goes for Yellowfin and Albacore, we IMPORT those fish to meet our domestic consumption demands.

Also true for a number of seafood items harvested and consumed in this country,
we can't possibly harvest all that we need.

This post edited by HungryJack 11:13 AM 02/04/2008

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm ready to sign up with the HungryJack Fan Club
Thanks for the facts!

We all act so high and mighty when it comes to catch and release of Marlin. How come anglers are not so puffed up about bluefin kills? Is it only because of permitting? I know plenty of recreational permit holders who kill bluefin, myself included. But a marlin - no way! When marlin come in they don't even hang them up here in the NE any more due to fear of the repercussions. My crew even debates me on whether to bring home one that dies on the hook (food wasters)!

Maybe it's time for us to take the same stand on bluefin as we do on the holy Marlin. Dare I say bigeye too?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.