NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
27,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the news from Afghanistan has been bad lately. But there is one unequivocal success. A bumper crop of opium poppies -- in fact, it's the largest crop in the world.

In the months before 9/11, the United Nations was able to report that opium production in Afghanistan had been wiped out --- not by outside forces, but by the religious conservatives in the Taliban, who simply jailed any farm caught growing poppies. It was against their religious principles.

But after we kicked them out, the Taliban --- showing a remarkable ability to adapt --- revised their principles. The opium trade turned out to be ethical, after all. And today, 93% of the world's opium come from Afghanistan ... earning the Taliban 100 million dollars just last year.


:rolleyes:
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
67,033 Posts
wader wrote:
Most of the news from Afghanistan has been bad lately. But there is one unequivocal success. A bumper crop of opium poppies -- in fact, it's the largest crop in the world.

In the months before 9/11, the United Nations was able to report that opium production in Afghanistan had been wiped out --- not by outside forces, but by the religious conservatives in the Taliban, who simply jailed any farm caught growing poppies. It was against their religious principles.

But after we kicked them out, the Taliban --- showing a remarkable ability to adapt --- revised their principles. The opium trade turned out to be ethical, after all. And today, 93% of the world's opium come from Afghanistan ... earning the Taliban 100 million dollars just last year.


:rolleyes:

I guess they weren't such religious zealots after all? :rolleyes:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
27,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I don't understand why they wouldn't go for this:
"I've talked to elderly people who have said they might as well have just run over me with the tractor because 'How am I going to feed my family?'"

She has a better idea: contract with the farmers to grow the poppies legally for morphine production and cut the Taliban out of the loop.

But the State Department wouldn't hear of it. They've apparently resolved to fight the war on drugs their way, even if it undermines the war on terror.


The people obviuosly need to make a living. This is a legal way to do it - cuts the Taliban out of the profit cycle & turns the people more toward the legit governemnt rather then leaning back to the Taliban to sell to.

Why would the State Department poo poo it?
It's a win win situation for all concerned.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
67,033 Posts
wader wrote:
What I don't understand why they wouldn't go for this:
"I've talked to elderly people who have said they might as well have just run over me with the tractor because 'How am I going to feed my family?'"

She has a better idea: contract with the farmers to grow the poppies legally for morphine production and cut the Taliban out of the loop.

But the State Department wouldn't hear of it. They've apparently resolved to fight the war on drugs their way, even if it undermines the war on terror.


The people obviuosly need to make a living. This is a legal way to do it - cuts the Taliban out of the profit cycle & turns the people more toward the legit governemnt rather then leaning back to the Taliban to sell to.

Why would the State Department poo poo it?
It's a win win situation for all concerned.

Sounds much too reasonable for a government bureaucrat to buy into.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19,282 Posts
This topic has been hashed out all over YouTube for years.
Keep an eye on the NatGeo channel, they did a great 1 hour story on it.
Related:

MakoMike wrote:

I guess they weren't such religious zealots after all? :rolleyes:
Nope.
Between the dope sales and promiscuous sex/rape of scared women, it's amazing they have the time to worship Allah.

Whomever he is.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top