NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK fishers,

With all the new-high-tech braid lines on the market, are you still using mono? If you are, what species do you prefer to catch with mono and why?

Also, if you have adapted, what species do you prefer to catch with braid and why?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Hi CA,

Being a bottom fisherman, I have found braid to be beneficial mainly for tog and cod. In regards to tog, the sensitivity of braid just can't be beat. I do fish about 10 - 15 feet of mono ahead of the braid to allow a little stretch and for stealth purposes. Fishing in 120 - 250 of water makes braid a winner for cod. By removing the stretch in the line, I think that it adds an additional foot or two of movement to each stroke of the jig. Again, I use about 15 - 20 feet of mono at the end of my line to avoid ripping the hooks out of the fish's mouth and it seems to add some distance to my cast when I swing the jig out.

I still prefer mono for shallower water bottom fishing (except blacks). I like the stretch, especially with porgies because of the way they jerk around. Also, I can see no reason to use braid for flounder (are there any left?), but maybe somebody else does.

Gamakatsu

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Hi Al,

The only things I would use mono for now is trolling and my ultra light for trout. Other than that, I have braid on almost all of my rods, even my fresh water gear. Coupled with graphite rods, the sensitivity for any type of fishing is greatly increased.

I especially like it for light tackle and casting lures for weakfish. WHAT A STRIKE!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Al,

I am set in my ways and will stay with mono!!!

I understand the value of the synthetic lines.
My mentor is still trying to convert me. Ha!!! LOL.

Yes, I have tried it.

I don't like the explosion feel when a fish bites.

Because I work on a party boat, My hands take a bad enough beating. Don't need any more cuts. I don't like the mono/synthetic tangles. I tell customers they can use it BUT don't look to me for help. The customers I sail with are very good about taking care of their own problems.

It just seems ridiculous to spend soooo much $$$ for synthetic line and then use a mono shock
leader. HA!!! That could be a good cartoon.

Will I be outfished because I choose to stay with mono???? Yes. I am happy with what works for me.

I guess this "old dog" doesn't want to learn new tricks.

I have fun fishing the way I do.

Capt Neil

PS. I agree with everything Gamakatsu and the others say about its merits.

Some guys like brunettes and others like red heads. What can I say.

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

This message was edited by Capt Neil on 12-13-01 @ 9:14 PM

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I love braid for tog and bucktailing for fluke. I tried some of the original Spiderwire back in the day, but stuck with mono. Last year I switched back to Fireline and was thoroughly impressed. I use a mono leader when bottom fishing with the braid but keep it about 2 feet long only. I've only had one bad tangle on a party boat with the braid and it was with someone that was using 4ozs when everyone else was using 8 to 10 ozs of lead.
Bucktailing for fluke with it is also awesome. I'm still using mono for all other applications but that might change this upcoming season.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Al,

Im using braid for stripers. 50lb Whiplash on my Neptune & Nautil spinning reels. I heard you are not a fan of this line, but after getting used to it I like it. I need to allwats keep tension on while reeling, sometimes w/ my fingers, but I love the sensitivity & casting. In a strong wind, if it tangles on anything, like a guide or plug, it must be cut.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Gottog,

Are you using the braid for fluke on a spinning reel? I was going to try it on my Penn 712 and try it for fluke, but I thought that it might be problematic. Anybody tried Power Pro on a 712 or similiar?

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've stocked up on several dozen spools of Fenwick Iron Thread (still in shrink wrap!).

This has been discontinued for a few years. So far it's been difficult to find anything as good.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Gama,

For fluke I do indeed have it on a spinning reel. The only thing I do is to keep the drag set a lil loose and pull off some line once I've made the cast and close the bail. I use the 20lb Fireline and it seems to work real well. A few anglers use it on the party boats I go on and it seems to account for 90% of the larger fish brought over the rail.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I use braided line (Fireline and Whiplash) for all bottom fishing and for plugging and jigging. The sensitivity is incredible. It definitely takes some getting used to and the wind knots when casting are frustrating. I carry a backup spool or another reel ready to go for times of blitz conditions - it eases the panic and down time. IMO braided line really makes a difference when fishing fluke and tog. You also get more distance out of your cast when plugging and feel the slightest hits. I still use mono for chunking.

MC

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Gottog.

You caught my attention when you posted that on the party boat the guys using synthetic line caught 90% of the big fluke.

Are these guys the better fishermen????? If they are, then I think they would still catch bigger fluke if the fluke is near their hook even when using mono.

I do understand that a hook can be set more quickly with line that doesn't stretch.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Gamakatsu,

I started the year using Power Pro on my spinning reel (4400 SS) and got tons of wind knots in it. I mean a lot, I was spending more time clearing the knots than fishing. I went back to Fireline and have not had any problems. I still have the Power Pro on my conventional and have no problems with it there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
bassturd,
Iron thread was my first braid and is still my favorite, although I only have it on a few reels still. I've been using Powere Pro, but going back to Fireline. To many mystery break offs with the PP

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have been slow to make a complete switch.
I was one of the first people I know to use Fireline.
I just LOVE the way a popper starts working immediately, even after a long cast.
I can see the advantage to using braid while bottomfishing in deep water, but most of my fishing is done from shore, and I understand the mates on party boats hate the mix of lines with their different drift rates.

But since you broached the subject, lets talk about baitfishing in the surf for a moment. I have heard many sharpies say that just as braid enhances YOUR feel for the fish, it also enhances the fishes feel for the rod. They say it is more likely a fish will drop your offering if you use braid. This has kept me to using mono while baitfishing, what's YOUR opinion?

Flounder

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm using 20-lb Power Pro on a Penn Graph spinner for bucktailing fluke, works great. Using 1/4 - 1/2 oz in up to 20 feet of water.

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello Fishers,

To answer a few questions.

Capt. Neil,
I know it is difficult to teach an old dog but I really believe that you ought to try these new-tech lines! Yes, I?ve had my shares of rod explosions, cut fingers to the bone, and untangling horrors?. But to be perfectly honest with ya? I am also from the old school? but I?ve learned to love it! ;)

Doughboy,
Yes, I agree with you? You can?t troll with braid unless you have a very forgiving (soft) rod! Also, when I target trout with my ultralight tackle, I am like you ? I still use 4lb. Test mono.

Gottog,
I agree with you. There is no better way to target doormats with braid on a spinning outfit! Especially when skinny water bucktailing! You?ll really need to come to NY waters for this kinda action!

NJSurf,
Is not that I am not fond of whiplash? I just believe there are better braid lines in the market that is better suited for surfcasting. Believe me, I have 2000 spools of whiplash from 20, 30, 50, 60 and 80 lbs. test?and I like it on conventional reels. However, I also tried Power Pro, tuff line, Gorilla line, Spiderwire, Fireline and Iron thread.
I found that each brand has its faults and I also believe that it?s just a matter of preference.

Hello Gamakatsu,
From the looks of it, you?ve been playing with braid for a long time. I also enjoy targeting tautogs and codfish with braid line. The funny part of it all, I also use approx. 8?-20? of mono to give just enough stretch and not lose the braid tightness. BTW: You need to try spinning /braid combo for fluke? it?s awesome!

Bassturd666,
Ah yes, you are one of the original Iron Thread users I see. I am also a strong believer of Iron Thread braid! In fact, I still have a few of 30, 50 and 60lbs 300 yards spools. It?s a shame Fenwick discontinued it. I believe during that time - the Spiderwire?s heavy promotion took them out of business.

Porgyman,
You are right! You have to get used to the wind knots (usually from 30lbs. test and under) and it adds great casting distance! :)

Oznavad,
I too had my shares of PP?s mystery break off. All in all, each high-tech brand has its disadvantages!

Flounder,
Just so you know? When I baitfish/chunk?. I?ve tried braid line and I don?t like it! I switched back to mono!

LedaAnnIV,
There is nothing better than fishing with a light spinning outfit and braid line for fluke! It?s amazing how sensitive it is when using such light bucktails under deep waters! Every year I look forward to this kind of fishing!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I use fireline on all of my surf rigs and inshore casting tackle. The only exception to that are the rigs I use when drifting clams for Bass. I deadstick the rods and use 25 lb mono and a fairly soft fiberglass rod with circle hooks. My standup rigs are all mono.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don?t own a single rod with any of the braided lines. I have tried them Cod fishing at Coxes and I was not terrible impressed. Yes, they are extremely sensitive and I felt every little tap, but that didn?t necessarily mean that I caught more fish. On 2 separate trips my crew and I used braided ? we had one rod rigged with the braided and 3 of us took turns fishing with the rod. At no time did anyone fishing the braided out fish those using mono. In fact, the mono outfished the braided! I am so tuned into using mono, I believe I can detect just about all hits and can tell the difference between a bergall and a Cod hit. I also never felt at a disadvantage when setting the hook, just be sure you?re hooks are sharp. Also, because I?m not fishing from a head boat and on a private boat, we can get away with using just enough lead to hold the bottom. At Coxes, I have never used anything over 12 ozs and typically use 8 ozs so you still have decent sensitivity. On a head boat, you need to hold bottom firmly and 12ozs is a minimum weight.

I don?t fish Taug much, and when I do, it?s shallow water ? braided is not necessary. I understand why many fishermen have switched to braided lines ? they are great for specific applications.

As far as other aspect of fishing I do, I don?t feel braided is necessary. Fluke, flounder, weakfish, bluefish, seabass, porgies etc? I typically fish shallow waters and like the stretch mono provides ? it provides tension on the line when the fish bounce around.

As for bass, if jigging, definitely a mono situation. The mono stretch provides more action to the jig. Live bait fishing, also done in shallow water, no need to worry about the stretch.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello Southshore,

You are 100% right!
Which brings out a very good point!

Just because one uses braid? it does not necessary mean that you are going to catch more fish. However, what it means is the following:
1) With braid ? you will be able to feel the bottom and strikes better
2) With braid - you will be able to get away with lighter sinker (because of it?s diameter)
3) With braid ? you are able to cast longer distance
4) With braid ? you can add more line to your reel

Obviously there are certain species that you need the monofilament stretch? The species are?
Tuna ? because of the sheer power and long runs (prone to burn out reel and break rods) ? however, braid is recommended for backing.
Porgy ? because of their constant bouncing (up and down motion)
Weakfish ? Because it will tear the mouth easier (called weakfish because of their fragile ?weak? mouths)

I also understand some like to use braid for the above species ? but only with a compromised (softer) rod. At times it works? but I still think you are better off targeting them with mono.

All in all, a good fisherman will be able to catch with just about any equipment?. However, the braid line only adds convenience and better feel to certain species (finicky /bottom duelers).

Any comments?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Why is it that Braid is not good for Porgies or Weakies? No stretch in the line? Just use a softer rod and change the way you reel in the fish - slow down. I've seen some guys really reel the fish in as quickly as possible, where I could see hooks tearing mouths, but if you slow down while reeling in the fish this would prevent this from happening (coupled with a softer rod) - NO?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.