NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious to different opinions on which sunglasses people prefer. I own a pair of Maui Jims, and cant complain, but i was debating on Costas, Kaenon, or spotters as a back up pair. Any insight on the pros or cons of any of the glasses mentioned above would be great, or a brand that i didnt listed above. thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
FAVORITES

1- COSTAS (SWORDFISH, HAMMERHEADS)
2- ZEALS
3 - MAUI JIMS
4 - DRAGONS
5 - ARNETTES (FOR OFF THE WATER ON LAND)

These are my favorites in order.

I love the new zeals so they are slowly moving up but the costas are just so perfect in everyway!

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I'm not into those super expensive glasses - I've got a pair of discontinued Action Optics with interchangeable Yellow & Orange lenses, which wrap around my face. Standard sunglass frames do not fit right on my face, and I hate teh standard lens size that most of teh polorized frames seem to have. I also hate a frame whih wraps around teh bottom of the lens, as it causes a "blind spot".

ANother thing to consider is teh weight of teh glasses, some glass lenses are quite heavy and for thos enot use to wearing glasses can be quite uncomy. THe Costa's I had drove me nuts because of this.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
sunglasses

I were Oakleys for work and costas on the water.I work outside most of the year so they get used almost every day.Most of the glasses i have purchased were about $120 to $160 thats about my max budget on them.After about 15 months my oakleys are to scratched up from work and are junk.What ever glasses you by spend the extra money and get them locally,(not mail order)they must fit your face and be comfortable or there useless.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
I've been wearing polarized Arnetts for years now. No need for new glasses so I haven't looked into them for quite some time. I used to love the Serengetti polarized glasses (Stratas), but they discountinued them some time ago.

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
Sunglasses I've owned:
Action Optics
Costa Del Mar
Maui Jims
Oakleys
Revos
RayBan
and a few of the cheapos they have at BW and wally's world.

Out of em all, the Maui's SS series, Titanium and the Flexon series are the most comfortable frames and they also have the best lenses...meaning the lenses have the least distortion.
This is what I wear now...

No squeezing of the temples and no distortion in the lenses and no red marks on the nose from the glasses resting on it. I wear em all day long on the boat and then in the car, and forget it's on my face. P
MM, I piad $200+S/H on eyesave.com

·
Registered
601 Posts
So what do we do for perscription polarized sunglasses? I have a pair that my local optomologist made up ten years ago and I am scared to death to lose them. I understand all these fancy brands cannot take a perscription lense.

·
Registered
17,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Quailoh wrote:
So what do we do for perscription polarized sunglasses? I have a pair that my local optomologist made up ten years ago and I am scared to death to lose them. I understand all these fancy brands cannot take a perscription lense.

Some of them can take perscription lenses. I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for prescription Costas and Maui Jim's.

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Quailoh wrote:

I own 2 pairs of Maui Jim prescription and love them.

Maui Jim prescription glasses

·
Registered
37,770 Posts
PRICE

Im cheap. I will not spend more than 30 bucks on sunglasses.
I buy the 5 buck sunglasses at the local store for regular wear, and polorized for fishing at the fishing shows, most times 25 bucks. I tried 150.00 glasses and found they were not much better.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
CHEVY1 wrote:
Im cheap. I will not spend more than 30 bucks on sunglasses.
I buy the 5 buck sunglasses at the local store for regular wear, and polorized for fishing at the fishing shows, most times 25 bucks. I tried 150.00 glasses and found they were not much better.

Do a lot of fishing? On the beach during the day with the bright blue sky and almost white sand? Remember it's what you DON'T see (as in difference) that 'll hurt you!

Been there, done that , with 2 premature cataract surgeries (early 30's) from those very same $2 and $10 glasses I wore growing up on the water.

Hopefully, when you're ready to retire, this won't be the case!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.