NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i'm back with another question.i tethered my rod,surf bag,paddle,lipper,ect.but what about me?? the water i'm fishing in is real swift if i take a dump by the time i get it together the boat will be gone,i was thinking of tethering my self to the boat like a surfer to his board,any does and don'ts on tethering yourself.

· Banned
6,641 Posts
most kayakers say that is a big taboo. but why isn't a problem for surfers is a good question. personally i would not think a tether would be a problem especially if you carry a high quality, sharp and easily accessible knife with you.

· Registered
188 Posts
"i tethered my rod,surf bag,paddle,lipper,ect.but what about me??"

Just another tether to get tangled up with. Carry a knife (it's on a tether too) yes but how long can you hold your breath. Surfers don't have all that gear on their boards. Picture a couple of rods attached just by their rod leashes, braided lines etc now roll the boat over maybe more than once...not a pretty sight. I don't want any part of a tether to that mess. You, of course, are free to do as you please.

Hooper

· Registered
4,314 Posts
I picture a fully loaded kayak with everything tethered and then the person rolling the boat over...
lines/tethers and whatnot acting like a lasso and capturing the kayaker as he struggles to regain his position.A mass of rods and reels and anchor lines,tether lines,soft sided cooler...
along with a tether attaching the person to the boat.

That scenario scares the living **** out of me!

Do not attach yourself to the kayak!
And try to "go light" meaning there is a way to go fishing without bringing the entire arsenal of gear & gizmos along.
That KISS phrase is always good to keep in mind.

· Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

alright i got the picture no tethering to me.i don't ride with that much gear one rod is all i need. i still don't understand the need for half the stuff i see in some of the riggs.thanks again.

· Registered
523 Posts
There are times when you might want to tether yourself to your kayak. I wouldn't do so when carrying a lot of gear. When I am fishing offshore in the colder months I tether myself to my kayak. It could mean the difference between life and death if your kayak were to get away from you and the air and water temps are cold even when wearing the right clothes. Never tether yourself to the kayak when launching or landing in the ocean surf. And never tether to your ankle, surfboards are 1 thing but a kayak will rip your leg out of it's socket. You should always carry a sharp knife that's attached to your PFD at all times when kayaking no matter if your tethered or not.

Catch plenty of fish, have lots of fun and always think safety first.

This post edited by KayakerStan 10:27 AM 06/21/2008

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.