NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Tennanah Lake in Sullivan County over the weekend. Tough conditions on Saturday. We actually had snow in the morning. Good action on pickerel to 4 pounds. Spoons and spinners.
The lake also has some nice wild browns and rainbows. My fishing partner landed a nice 2 pound brown on a Kastmaster. I nailed a beautiful rainbow about the same size on a Krocodile.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Surfcaster, glad to hear that you got some fish. Thanks for letting us in on what you used to get the pickeral. I just started targeting pickeral this year and was wondering what lures, other than what I have been using, might work well. So far, my best pickeral fishing has been on a two inch, 1/16 yo-zuri pin minnow...perch color. On two occasions I saw the pickeral while walking down to the shoreline of the lake. I threw the plug right past em, crancked two or three times and I was in. The lure works great, in fact, it is the only thing I have caught them on this year. Any tips on what else may work on those days when my magic pickeral plug is not doing it's thing? Spinners and spoons you mentioned in your post. Like roostertails and little casting tins? I generally do not fish bait at all just lures. Most of the lakes I fish have lots of lilly pads, weeds, and plenty of trees and roots along the shoreline. I guess I am just hoping that you have a tip or two you might be willing to share. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Best of Luck. THEO

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I can see why the lakes your fishing are producing good pickerel action. Pickerel love weedy shallow areas. Filled with fallen trees and brush. They are ambush hunters and will always be close to cover.

In-line spinners like Mepps, Blue Fox, and Rooster Tails have all worked well for me.
However when things really weed up in the summer. You need to fish with a more snag free set-up. Small plastics like 4" Slug-Go type baits rigged weightless have worked well for me. Chartruese is my color preference. Work the plastics around the edge of the weed beds and into any open pockets you can find. Good Luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey surfcaster, thanks. For the most part I do not fish soft plastics, but I am planning on giving them a try this year. I imagine there is a way to rig up the slug-os to be weedless, which probably makes them the best choice for summer heavy weed fishing. I will probably start fishing them soon being that the lake I fish most for picks is already almost completly covered with weeds and lillys. What size hook would you recomend to go along with the 4" slug-o? Thanks again, much appreciated. Good Luck. THEO

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theo,

Hook size depends on the bait. With the Slug-Go's I use a #2 Circle Hook. They are easy to rig weedless. Just make sure the point is exposed.

With some of the lighter plastics I will drop down to a #4 or even #6 depending on where I am fishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.