NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1984 Evinrude 70hp. Teleflex steering is stuck. I loosened the nuts, hit everything with WD40, and whacked it with a hammer. The tilt tube came out from the port side and I can't seem to get it back in. The cable moves freely but it seems to be stuck inside the tube. It was fine when I put it away in November.

Any suggestions?

(This post edited by wyovino on 03/31/2003)

· Premium Member
67,033 Posts
Wy,
The cable is probably corroded to the tube. Try soaking it in corrosion block for a couple of days. You could also try applying heat while someone tries to move it, but be careful, wd-40 and corrosion block are flammable. You don't want to start a fire.

· Registered
764 Posts
Wyovino,
GO to "Steering Stuck" posted by me and in this Boating Angler thread, dated 19 March. I got lots of good advice concerns etc. I also got lucky. My better half used her hair dryer on the tilt tube, I squeezed in more grease through the xerkes fittings, and then whaled away with a hand sledge after disconnecting the rod. Not seeing anything move, I went back up in the boat to remove stuff before getting it ready for the tow to the fine mechanics at Pearl Grey in Amityville. I grabbed the wheel for balance on the way back out and of course it moved. Over a weeks time, I got it from the level of a deuce and a half truck, Vietnam era, to being able to spin the wheel with 2 fingers between the spokes. Its still that limber, 3 weeks later. Maybe this years rougher than average winter had something to do with this (?)

· Registered
4,148 Posts
grease

If you grease everything up in the fall before winterizing, it will never happen. I go around and make a big mess w/ the grease gun & then coat w/ spray oil. I did loose a throttle cable over the winter, but everything else is tip top.

Jon

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

Normally I grease up everything in sight when I put the boat away for the winter. Last year I went Striper fishing (not Striper catching) in mid November. It snowed before I had a chance to winterize the boat and with the bad winter we had, I never got around to it. Now I'm paying the price.
The hair dryer idea sounds like a great one. I was reluctant to try a propane torch as recommended by others.

Thanks again,

Bill

· Registered
764 Posts
I thought I had greased mine up good enough, but can not recall if I "hit it" one last time in late November early December when I gave up trying to catch a striper. Rest assured I will make greasing it a monthly chore now! Not sure if the hair dryer did the trick, or my whacking with the hand sledge, but it did come free. Another fear I had with the torch was the proximity to my fuel line. Good luck!

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

Still stuck, and now the nut on the cable that attaches to the starboard side of the tilt-tube is stripped. I also tried attaching a turnbuckle between the cable piston and the port lifting ring. When I tightened it, the gelcoat around the lifting ring cracked and the ring loosened.

I have one idea left:

Cut the teleflex cable where it enters the tilt-tube on the starboard side with a sawsall, leaving about 3 inches protruding. I might then be able to hammer the remaining piece through the tilt-tube. If that doesn't work, I can replace the tilt-tube as well. It's a shame because both the teleflex cable and the tilt-tube appear to be brand new.

Is this a good idea? Does anyone have a better one?

Help me Obi-wan Kanobe, You're my only hope!

· Registered
7,348 Posts
wd 40 wont do a thing its a lubricant not a penetrating oil go to home depot or lowes and see if they carry this stuff called KROIL penetrating oil its the best stuff out to free frozen bolt and anything else rusted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.