NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think,is this rebate gonna help,I think it's gonna make things worse in the long run, it's already pushing up the price of oil,so we can use the rebate money to pay for the inflated gas and heating oil!:confused:

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Imports still $uck the economy dry...

At precisely the point in our history in which this nation has become ever more dependent on foreign producers for everything from clothing to computers to technology to energy, our weakened dollar is making the price of an ever-increasing number of imported goods even more expensive.

All Americans will soon have to face a bitter and now obvious truth: Our national, political and economic leaders have squandered this nation's wealth, and the price of this profligacy is enormous, and the bill has just come due for all of us.

Just what would you have us spend it on? The truth is that consumers spend most of their money on foreign imports, and any stimulus package probably would be stimulating foreign economies rather than our own. Imports, for example, account for 92 percent of our non-athletic footwear, 92 percent of audio video equipment, 89 percent of our luggage and 73 percent of power tools. In fact, between 1997 and 2006, only five of the 114 industries examined in a U.S. Business and Industry Council report gained market share against import competition.

·
Registered
418 Posts
At first I thought, Now what should I do with our $1200. Then another thought struck me. It's kind of like when you see a 50% off sale. The store is still making a profit even at 50% off. So how much are they bilking us when things are regular price. If the government can give out rebates of $600 to individuals and $1200 to families, and still not cut any of their programs, where is this money coming from. Or put another way, maybe they didn't need this money in the first place. So it would seem to me that we've been overtaxed by at least $1200/year, that's $100/month, all along. But people are so excited by this "windfall" that they aren't even looking at the scam the government has been pulling on us. What a bunch of crooks.

Mike

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
jaws1948 wrote:
At first I thought, Now what should I do with our $1200. Then another thought struck me. It's kind of like when you see a 50% off sale. The store is still making a profit even at 50% off. So how much are they bilking us when things are regular price. If the government can give out rebates of $600 to individuals and $1200 to families, and still not cut any of their programs, where is this money coming from. Or put another way, maybe they didn't need this money in the first place. So it would seem to me that we've been overtaxed by at least $1200/year, that's $100/month, all along. But people are so excited by this "windfall" that they aren't even looking at the scam the government has been pulling on us. What a bunch of crooks.

Mike

The government is going to increase its borrowing to fund the rebates. They already spend more than they take in, even before the rebates (its called the deficit) and the rebates are only going to increase the borrowing.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
jaws1948 wrote:

Mike

The government is going to increase its borrowing to fund the rebates. They already spend more than they take in, even before the rebates (its called the deficit) and the rebates are only going to increase the borrowing.

The govt has the printing presses ! Every dollar they print makes the one in your pocket worth less. This is simply a pre election political game, it will do nothing to solve the real economic problems.

Thinks of it, $600 = one tank of home heating oil !

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It's like taking an old pair of pants out of your closet and finding a $20 bill in the pocket.At first you're excited but after a minute you realize it was your money in the first place.Same deal.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
LIRS wrote:
It's a political ploy to influence the stupid...

Maybe, but the whole reason for this has nothing to do with the Chinese, India or another country. This is a home grown problem of people borrowing more than they could afford, lenders lending more than the home value or the borrowers ability to pay back the loan. Also blame the appraisers, wall street MBS originators, dirty loan officers, and credit rating agencies as well. One thing in common, none are foreigners. We made this mess, and now they ( our Govt)are borrowing from the future to help keep the economy from falling apart.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
canyonfvr wrote:
i know ill be happy getting it $600 is better than nothing

you'll pay for it Cany don't let them kid you.

The only way it will help is if the money was spenty on domestic products. Otherwise, the rest of the world which is so called "free trade" (joke) will reap all the benefits.

Lou Dobbs:

"When American manufacturing jobs headed overseas in the 1990s, supporters of tariff-free trade argued that newly unemployed workers could simply find jobs in the growing high-tech sector. Yet multinational corporations soon outsourced white-collar and service-industry jobs as well, with overseas labor fielding support questions from computer users, programming software, and even examining X-rays and MRI scans for American consumers."

Over 300,000 jobs lost every week.

Only 5,000 new jobs a week added last month.

Who's paying for what?

I hate to say I told you so...

The top 5 percent of this country are scurring like rats on a sinking ship.. and they'll leave us in our misery as they move to Chalets in Switzerland...

This post edited by likeitreallyis 02:30 PM 01/25/2008

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
and if this economy has a little bump aka wall street uptick.. they'll pocket every dime and the dow will be below 10,000 again and everyone will wonder why.. but the fat cats will have more money than they ever imagined/.

They are dismantling the infrastructure our parents and grandparents laid down in the "making a world a better place for our kids" for thier own personal gain and it's disgusting..

Wake up people...

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Likeitreallyis..

How is the subprime mortgage crisis, which is what caused this chain of events, even remotely the cause of the Free trade agreement, Nafta or some company's customer support job being outsourced to India???

Please.. Tell me.. Likeitreallyis.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
likeitreallyis wrote:
and if this economy has a little bump aka wall street uptick.. they'll pocket every dime and the dow will be below 10,000 again and everyone will wonder why.. but the fat cats will have more money than they ever imagined/.

They are dismantling the infrastructure our parents and grandparents laid down in the "making a world a better place for our kids" for thier own personal gain and it's disgusting..

Wake up people...

Sounds like someone fell for the Democrats' class warfare pitch hook, line and sinker! FYI if you live on the greater NY area and can afford to go fishing YOU are probably in the top 5% of income earners in the country.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
likeitreallyis wrote:

Wake up people...

Sounds like someone fell for the Democrats' class warfare pitch hook, line and sinker! FYI if you live on the greater NY area and can afford to go fishing YOU are probably in the top 5% of income earners in the country.

I can't afford to live here much longer... Wife also works full time. We have no money just debt.

What's your point Mr. republican?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.