NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

For Christmas my brother are giving our dad an all expense paid fishing trip to FLA to go Tarpon fishing. Does anyone have any recommendations of who and where to charter. We are staying in mid FLA at my uncle's house who is also going with us. It may be the last time we will all be together doing something like this so my brother and I want to make a trip they can remember. Kind of like the memories my brother and I have when we were kids and they would take us to Montauk fishing in the 70's.

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
boca grande

may, june
capt. Rodney Ristau

Florida Charter Fishing Fish Tampa Bay Charters

I have fished with Capt. Rodney for many years. He knows his stuff.
I have fished boca for 6 years in a row now in mid may and always got poons. Live bait around the pass on spinners not jigging in it with all the moroons.
ITS ALL ABOUT TIME OF YEAR.;)
Try to fish the moons in may, june because they have a crab run with the high tides and the tarpon are feeding on them

good luck....CAPT. GIL

Attachments

·
Banned
7,173 Posts
when they run deep hold your rod high. when they jump and roll you better bow to the cow. or u will never get her to the boat. pinfish, green backs, herring, crabs. st. johns pass in st. pete is a great spot. just don't let them run to the pile's or bye bye!!! and mirro lure top dog jr's in parrot do some damage on them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tarpon fishing

Boca hands down, May-June BUT set up your charter as early as possible as the tournaments at that time have the vast majority of Capt's. booked well in advance.
John
Fla. res.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Boca is OK

They do have serious run in Boca Grande, but anywere on the west coast from Naples all the way to Boca will produce. Late April (sometimes depending on water temps) May and June is the best time of year. June can be very warm so lots of suncreen, hat and good sunglasses are must.

Where Gil fishes his Captain tries to stay out of the madness when they have poons rolling around. It can literally turn into a bumper car type of thing,ESPECIALLY TOURNEY TIME IT'S INSANE!

Here are few pictures of a poon being taken by a Hammerhead. In the backgound you will see the fleet surronding rolling poons.

T/R I 'll have to file that one LOL;) Got a picture of one of them. Just tried bass pro but couldn't find the parrot color?

and mirro lure top dog jr's in parrot do some damage on them.

This post edited by baywatch 01:12 PM 01/04/2008

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.