NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be looking to fish the north fork (Greenport vicinity) in a few weeks for some of them legendary doormats. I'll be trailering my boat out there. Seeing as though I've never fished this area, could anyone steer me in the right direction regarding some good spots to fish? How about a boat ramp in the area? Thanks for your time & insight.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Doormats

Its not difficult to find the spots. Just look for the boats! If you launch out of Gull Pond, head towards the Bug Light. The whole area from B.L. to the inlet is prime. You can also head past the breakwater and the Greenport ferry to the Greenlawns.
Leave the big ones for me though.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Doormats

Take the North Rd. CR48 past Main St. Greenport to Manhanset Av. make right (by cemetary) follow road 3/4 mile to Gull Pond (Norman Klipp Park) Nice ramp. Permit is required after Memorial Day. Head out Gull Pond make left-start fishing right away-20-30ft water if tide is goind out. If tide is incoming head toward lighthouse (east) and drift back) Look around the boats will tell you what to do. P.S. There is also another ramp off Manhanset Av. 3 blocks before Gull Pond(just past Brewers Marina)it will handle small boats to around 20ft. (no permit needed anytime).

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Doormays

I forgot to mention it but they fish right in front of Greenport Village docks. Head out of Gull Pond-make right(west) go around breakwater(rock jetty)and head over to village. Then fish from Railroad dock(west side) to Sterling Harbor entrance(east side).Or reverse the drift depending on the tide.
P.S.this is deep water area 6-8+ oz. sinkers required, depending on the tide. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Doormats

Last year we used 2 & 3 oz. "GREEN" bucktails, tipped with squid strips and spearing. Braided line is a must to hold bottom. We absolutely killed them last year. On one trip I had almost 30 keepers with (3) over 6 lbs. and (1) 7.5 lbs. Good Luck see next thurs.

·
Registered
404 Posts
captain bob

i don't know if captain bob is the best or not, but i'm gonna have to back up vin man on this one because:
i did fish with captain bob,
i did catch a doormat,
i did win the pool.

btw vin man - we heard you the 1st time.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure what the names of the areas are (I've only fished there once before w/ a guide), but there are a bunch of shallow flats that empty out over some very steep dropoffs. Check your charts & you should be able to spot them pretty easily. We were working small fin-s-fish off these dropoffs & the bass would take them readily.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.