NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some tackle planning for an upcoming fantasy fishing trip to the East Cape of Baja in August. (I know there's lots of time, but I like to plan this stuff).

We will be fishing mostly from pangas and expect to target yellowfin, dorado, wahoo, roosterfish, pargo, cabrilla. Maybe one trip for marlin and/or sails.

I'm thinking of taking the following rods and reels and I'd like to get your opinions. I've been to Baja before and was seriously undergunned and I still feel like a rookie, so I can use all the advice I can get.

4 rigs:

50# trolling: TLD30II w/65# PowerPro and 50# Big Game topshot. Fenwick trolling rod w/roller stripper and tiptop.

40# bait and trolling: Everol Super 12/20 with 65# PowerPro and 40# Big Game topshot. Calstar 6465H non-roller rod.

30# bait: Daiwa SLX40HV with 40# spectra line and 30# Big Game topshot; Seeker CJBF65 25 (30) 40.

20# bait: Tica Gemini 300 with 20# Sensithin line (breaks at 30+); Seeker G970 20 (25) 30. I was thinking this might be a fun rig for smaller roosterfish and "football" tuna.

I'm also bringing gear for a couple of other guys: Daiwa Sealine 600 w/50# Big Game; Penn 113H w/50# Big Game both for trolling. A couple of Daiwa 50H's for 30# live bait fishing.

Of the 4 rigs from 20#-50# are there any modifications you would recommend? Do you think I'm wasting my time with the 20-25# rig?

Suggestions for lures and terminal tackle are also welcome.

Many thanks for the help.
Art

·
Registered
31 Posts
What to bring

Have a great time there.Which resort are you going to?Ihave found that some of them will let you use the lures they have on the boats which gives syou the best color selections the bait which is previlent at the time you are fishing.I highly suggest 1 50 Wide or the = if you are thinking Blue Marlin. They are numerious at that time of year.There is a liot of great info. at bajanet.com in there go to fishing reports. There is an arcive of the privious years broken down into weeks. The discussion board will also help. The way you get treated may be influnced by the tip but may not be> I fish out of Rancho BunaVista & use one of there 30ft crusers, there are only 2 of the them. Bouth of those Captians are ex. Be aware that Aug is Hurricane season. No matter what try to use the same boat every day unless the 1st capt. turnes out to be as lazy as his deckhand can be. Once again RBV Capt's will berate the s--- out of a deckhand who they think is slacking off. The inshor fishing is gerat also incase it is too blowy to go deep. 1 other thing you can tell the capt what you want to fish for so he can buy the right bait. I go for $20 of eather large baits or sardina(small) If you feel comf. & are using the same Capt. sometimes it can save you some time by letting him get the bait from the bait boati when he is on the way in to pick you up. That should be enough for now but there is plenty more. DeLux

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Headed to Rancho Leonero

Thanks for the input, DeLux. I appreciate it.

I've been to Rancho Leonero once before (2 years ago). I agree with the strategy of using the same boat whenever possible. I think this time we will be fishing mostly from pangas and most likely not targeting blue marlin. I don't think we have the gear for them and, maybe this is heresy or just lack of experience, but we'd much rather go after dorado and tuna ... go for quantity rather than the "big battle".

The Leonero pangueros are excellent, although one of their boats is a mess and I would avoid it unless they've since fixed it. We will probably fish sardinas, although last time one of the bait guys gave me a "big bait" and I used it to catch a striped marlin around 135#.

The baja.com website is excellent. I'm a regular reader and have picked up lots of tips there. Another one that's pretty good is Allcoast (http://www.sport-fish-info.com/dcforum/cgibin/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=tackle&conf=mainconf). It's mostly geared to the west coast and long range fishing, but there's a ton of intelligent tackle info there.

Do you think given what we are after that my tackle selection is ok? Besides blue marlin, what species will be most active that time of year?

Thanks again.

Art

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
bajawishin wrote:
"…..Of the 4 rigs from 20#-50# are there any modifications you would recommend? Do you think I'm wasting my time with the 20-25# rig? Suggestions for lures and terminal tackle are also welcome. "

Hello bajawishin (Art),
You got me all excited again… Baja-Panga fishing brings back many fond memories! I had many great days (Grand Slam - Tuna, Striped Marlin, Sailfish, Wahoo and Rooster in ONE day) and it's hard work and incredibly demanding on your tackle! :)

DeLux is right! Panga fishing is very exciting and it can be extremely productive when the weather cooperates and it's always a good idea to have some LIVE bait when you are seeking for the large! On calm days… you will see many marlin leaping with joy…. And there are times you will see them finning… and that's when LIVE bait can be explosive and abusive to your body. ;)

Anyway, after reading your tackle list…. You are on the right track! The only thing I ask is that you check your drag systemsbefore you go because those fish are abusive to your equipment! Another MUST on your list is Fluorocarbon leaders in the 30 - 100 lbs. test! Cabo water is extremely clear and those feisty pelagic species will be able to detect your line from great distance!

As for lure selection… Depending what you targeting… but you can't go wrong with tins, diamond jigs, bucktails (with glitter), rapalas, yozuri, poppers and trolling lures such as clones, and cedars can be absolutely deadly! Just make the hooks are reinforced (stronger hooks and increase the size by 1) and have a sharpener handy!

Also…When hunting roosters or those football tunny, you want to have a spinning outfit tipped with a "white" surface lure ready at all times! Make sure to crank hard and fast…. Those critters are explosive and the fight is unbelievable! ;)

Just wondering… Are you going to have your adrenaline checked before you go and plan on taking lots of pain reliefers? :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, Al

Al, thanks for validating my tackle list and for all the great suggestions.

That grand slam day of yours is indeed something to remember. Hope you got some pictures to help you get that adrenaline going ....

I know what you mean about those feisty, fast, aggressive species in the Baja. Last time I went, my brother (younger) and son (much younger) couldn't handle the pressure. The old man (me) fished 5 days straight and they did 3 ... they were worn out and the heaviest thing they lifted after 3 days of fishing was 12 oz. This time I'm scheduled for 6 days and they are scheduling themselves for 3 or 4 each (what a waste).

You're not kidding about the adrenaline rush. The first time I got hit by a jack crevalle, I thought it was freight train.

Now you've done it! I'm going to wish away my time til I go!

Thanks again.

Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.