NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi CA;

Rather than using a swivel when drift fishing with a silver bullet rig for fluke, what's your feeling in substituting interlocking loops (so as to form a square knot rather than a girth hitch) to join the line and leader? It would make it that much easier to replace a torn leader and/or line. Also, I'm not sure that a swivel is really needed when drift fishing or that the line and leader actually twist that much.

If I'm wrong, what about the use of a snap swivel rather than a swivel only?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Swivels, Rigs, Rods its all up to the angler and what His/Her's preferences are. If you like being perfect than use the swivels, the grith hitch, and the perfect rod. If you aren't that meticulous that you can use the rod/setup that you know will get the job done. It's all up to you.
J.R.

J.R.

This message was edited by Capt J on 2-27-02 @ 8:18 PM

·
Registered
134 Posts
Capt J - 1st of all you are new here, and the reason for the various questions, is that people are trying to LEARN, from other's experience's.
That said, in my opinion, a swivel will stop the line from twisting due to currents when on a drift. If you just are casting and doing a retrive, with out a fish on, you can get the trist out, by running the line thru your fingers. Otherwise multiple twists in the line will eventually weaken the line and cause havoc.

G

·
Capt J.....
what is wrong with asking any question????? this board is here for people to learn from not be criticized for asking something.i am sure there are things you don't know or maybe i am wrong and you know it all......i always worry about someone who knows it all....in any case i think you should keep your insults to yourself!!

and please don't anyone think capt j and i are the same person...we are NOT!!!!

capt jack

·
Registered
93 Posts
In response to Capt J's reply...

It's funny, but many of the techniques that I have learned came from this message board. I would never claim to be an expert, for there are no fishing experts. That means you too Capt J.!

Discussion boards are used for us "inexperienced" fishermen to gain knowledge and maybe even more importantly, to connect with people who love to wet a line.

There is no place on this message board for insults and demeaning rhetoric. As GAMAKATSU said, "the dumbest question is the one you don't ask." And don't worry Capt. Jack, you have distinguished yourself as a polite, helpful person, unlike some people we know.

Soundfisher

This message was edited by Huskers23 on 2-27-02 @ 5:35 PM

·
Registered
79 Posts
You have a point, but 1st the man started a discussion like he knew what he was talking about. 2nd He asked me for his opinion, therefore I gave it to him. Moreover you may think that what you read on the internet or read in the paper about fishing is true and that you know what to do, when in realitly you have to test these techniques to see if they work and are effective. Lastly he said "if I am wrong then tell me," and my over all response was that "THERE IS NO WRONG WAY TO FISH" just do what works.

J.R.

Oh yeah, and another thing I never said I was an expert, HUSKERS23, even though I am. There ARE fishing experts, they are just hard to find.

This message was edited by Capt J on 2-27-02 @ 7:08 PM

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello fellow fishers,

We are all in this ?learning? process and I have to agree with the general consensus. There is absolutely NO place for this kind of behavior (especially in this forum)! I will not allow it and I only ask you to please respect each other?s posts.

Enough said... let's carry on!

Melfluke wrote:
? Also, I'm not sure that a swivel is really needed when drift fishing or that the line and leader actually twist that much. If I'm wrong, what about the use of a snap swivel rather than a swivel only?
__________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Mel,
That is true to an extent? and the reason why I think you are asking this question is simple. You see?before the new high tech lines? monofilament was the line of choice for many years and the swivel was the perfect gadget to prevent the ugly line twist.

You are from the ?NEW? school that uses the new high tech lines. Since the new lines (braid) does not have the same properties (less/zero stretch, no line twist) compared to the monofilament line?. Therefore, current fishers are now finding less and less application for the swivels. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Capt J:

The beauty of this site is that "dumb" questions often bring intelligent replies. Read Crazy Al's answer. I just received some very interesting, thoughtful advice. He's a very bright, knowledgable guy as are many of the sharpies that monitor this board. Believe me, I've gotten some great advice from many of my fishing colleagues. Relax and learn. You claim some interest in the sport of fishing, so you can't be all bad!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Capt. J wrote:
I fish primarily in Point Lookout and out of Jones Inlet(I live near it). Its good fishing all year round, till the Capt. AL stopped cod fishing.

Hello J.R.,

Oh yes, the entire Jones area is a prime fishing ground. The inlet, easy access to deep waters, the backbay and marshes?All in all, a great place to fish!

BTW: I usually do my annual cod trip on Capt. Al?s vessel. I wet boat? but good! ;)
Just wondering? How was your last year?s fishing?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Last years cod fishing was bad. This years was even worse, I was out about 6 times this year and I saw ONE cod caught. The Capt. Because of the lack of codfish the Capt. AL has sadly dropped all of its remaining codfish trips this year to switch to all blackfish.

J.R.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.