NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Banned
3,311 Posts
On a scale from one to ten, if Yamaha is a ten and Johnson is a five, I rate Suzuki an eight. I've seen them sink and still run. I've seen them with hundreds of offshore hours, taking a real beating. They are good, solid engines.

· Registered
430 Posts
I owned a 1988 Suzuki 200 hp outboard for six years. Sold it last year and it was running fine. I did many offshore trips with it. It was used, with low hours when I got it. It was a great engine, very dependable. I would put it in the class with Yamaha for dependability and durability. There is a dealer in Lindenhurst, and he was also very good. Let me know if you need the name and I'll try and track it down.

· Registered
33 Posts
Yamaha a (10)! Dam I got a good laugh out of that one. Tell that to all the HPDI owners with constant plug fouling problems, lower head problems. Tell that to the Yamaha 4-stroke motors owners who are lucky to see 75-80% of the advertised horsepower.

There are no (10) motors out there, none are perfect. The Suzuki is a great motor, I am on my 3rd 4-stroke in 3-yrs. A 15,115, and now a 140. Never had a issue with any of them, putting in high hours of use on all. If you do an internet search of 4-stroke comparisons, you will find that the Suzuki has won all the head to head comparisons, and was the only 4-stroke manufacturer achieving the advertised hp in testing...I can't speak of their 2-strokes, never owned one.

There are alot of "Great" motors out there but none are perfect!

· Registered
430 Posts
Paulie beat me to it. These are the folks I dealt with for six years. They were knowledgable, fair, and did what they said they'd do. I recommend them. It would take me about 40 minutes to get to them but the service made it worth the ride. The area code may have changed to 516.

Jensen Marine Service, Inc.
1234 Merrick Road
Copiague, NY 11726-4908
Phone: 631/226-9739

· Registered
2,010 Posts
Ditto... Jensen Marine is the place!

Bought my twin DF 140's there. Love the motors... love the dealership and service better.

At the 20 hour service "alarm" (on a SUNDAY afternoon), I was not sure as to how to reset so I could get back to dock under full rpm's. Called the shop and found Neal there. Got me straightened out.

Two days later, I called to remind him to put me in for an appointment to pull the boat and do the 20 hour service. His response was that they were almost finished with it in the yard! He had the master keys and figured he'd take care of it while I was at work!!

Of course, I keep it in a slip not far from the shop, but you got to love that kind of service!

Area code is still 631. Alternate number is 957-2424.

Lots of luck!

· Registered
261 Posts
Suzuki out boards

Ditto on Jensons. It is a family run business that takes care of their customers. I bought a new 1999 225 EFI
2 stroke from Jensens and it ran many trouble free hours on 30-40 mile off shore trips. Thats the confidence I had in it.I have a OX66 250 Yamaha now, I liked the Suki better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.