NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was looking for a little help and advice.

Maybe its just me but I just bought a beautiful fenwick 8'6" med/hv spinning rod for poppers and lures and I paired it with my trusty 5500ss penn. I thought I was casting great until I put the same reel on my 7'0" med/hev ugly stick and I realized that I can cast further.
Is it me or do ugly sticks really cast well.
I have several and I seem to be long man at the pier no matter which one I am casting

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
I have a Penn 9 foot rod with a 5500 and a 10 foot Ugly stick with a 704Z. The Penn rod casts great!!! It sounds like you are casting too light a lure with a Medium/Heavy rod if a 7 foot rod is casting the lure better. A medium/heavy 8 and a half foot rod sounds like a pretty stout rod, maybe better for bait.

Good Luck

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a st.croix 10ft med hvy and a 7ft ugly sticky too. The 7ft ugly can cast almost the same
distance too. Thats what I have notice also.
The ugly stick is very flexible especially near the tip so when you cast you can really launch a lure out there. My st.croix doesnt have that same
flexibility. The 7ft is a light tackle pole and have caught more fish on it than my st.croix!
This winter I'll be lookin for another rod.
Something in the 7ft-8ft range something like the
uglystick but with little more back bone like the
st.croix.The st.croix is a bit stiff at the top end and cant quite work the lures like I do on the light tackle 7ft ugly stick.
If I cant find what I'm lookin for then I will stick with the uglystick.

IBEW local 1049

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Looking for some advice here. Just bought a Penn Spinfisher 10 foot MH rod to fish Northshore beaches, and want to know if a Penn 710 Z will match up with it for plugging, tins and bucktails. I seldom if ever use bait but might want to try flinging an eel now and then. What do you guys think of the combo ? I usually use 10 or 12lb mono.

Striper77

·
Registered
375 Posts
#1 med/heavy = BIG PLUGS.
ugly sticks are known for whipy tips,you cant compare that with the parabolic action of the st croix.

as for the 10' penn
better match would be a 704
the rod is a little heavy for all day use pluging (imo)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Striper,

Plugging all day with the Penn rod will kill you, well your arms actually. My old Penn Power Stick 11' was a good rod, but when plugging I had to use plugs over 2oz.

I could last at most 1 hour with constant plugging, it was just too much of a strain on the arms.

Bait fishing is the best way to go with your setup, but plugging and jigging can be done. And you will want to use at least 15lb mono. I have a Penn 9500, and have 3 spools(30lb fireline, 30lb mono, and 15lb mono).... I think 15 is the minimum, especially cause you're going to have to use big plugs with that rod.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am using an 8 1/5 st.croix most of the time, but wanted the 10 footer to reach out a little when the fish are breaking beyond my reach......but I guess no matter how far you throw there are always fish breaking beyond your reach.....thats what makes it fun !

Striper77

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info. I have to agree with all the comments that the Ugly Stick is worth the bucks and that the average 10 footer is not going to get you more. I fished from the Jersey shore to LI and all if not most fish were caught with Ugly Sticks including a 37" striper off the surf. Not endorsing the company but they have a great product. Now I can save some time and money, to go fishing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started with the 11ft Spinfisher until I realized it was too big for the North Shore, so I traded it in for the 9ft. That rod is soo light its awesome. BTW mine's matched to a Stradic 4000. Real nice light setup

·
Registered
724 Posts
This is an interesting conversation. I take out a lot of guys,and many of them swear they can cast their ugly as far as they could one of my Lami's. Than I take them to the beach to find out they are not loading up the rod properaly. After a little instruction they can't believe the difference in the rods. My point is if you have been fishing your ugly for a long time and then go to a quality rod like a St Croix but are not loading it properaly then your ugly is going to out cast your new St. I'm not saying your not loading it properaly,but that would be my guess. In my opinon the ugly tends to be very slow in their action. I've often wondered about the spine of those rods? Where are they? SO I believe it's easy to get a average or below average load on the rod because of how the blank is made and how the rod is built. On the other hand take a one pc.Lami and throw a 2 or 3oz plug and feel that load--WOW. Also a 1pc will out load a 2pc in almost every case. If you can fit a 1 pc into your lifestyle I would highly recommend you buy one.MY 2 cents!

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill,

Thanks for that input. You are probably right that many of us are not loading the rod properly. Personally, I own a copy of the video "long distance surf casting" by Ron Arra, for Lamiglass. It actually helped me get the most out of my ugly stick. However I have not been in the presence of great surfcasters. It seems like I am always the long caster at the peir or beach when I go. This weekend I was testing an old Penn 155L on a 7' boat rod with OTC and I was getting more distance than most with spinner. I would love to see and feel the difference of casting a Lami of St. but I dont have $200 just to experiment. Any suggestions???

Thanks..
PS Im interested in casting distance only because I love to fish surface lures and jigs for blues and stripers.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Try a friends rod. Try a 1pc vs 2 pc if possible. If you ever meet up with me on the beach you can check out one of my rods for a cast or two. Good luck --bill

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Totally agree with Bill.

I used to use uglies a lot. Then finally this year I picked up a custom rod build on an XRA 1205 and the difference was nigt and day! Now occationally when I do go back to the ugly it seems so awkward.

At the same time, I would suggest getting some experience in using an ugly stick or other off-the-shelf rod before taking the plung on an XRA or other custom rod. You'll know a lot more of what you want and like and be able to work with the rod builder much better.

Good luck.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is what I wanted to hear. Someone who has been on both sides of the fence of throwing Uglies and Lami.

Thanks

Bill, I will take you up on that one day. I would love to become a Striper surf rat one day as I make my move down to VA beach. Hopefully before I go I can make it to one of your seminars or meet you on the beach.
Thanks again

·
Registered
196 Posts
Striper77, all above is true. The Ugly stick loads easier - ie with less technique. I think your Penn is rated about 2 - 8 oz and will perform well in the 3 to 4 oz range. The Penn 704 will perform well due to the large spool. Change your mono to PowerPro 50 lb, which has a 12 lb diameter. It will rock. And yes, you will fatigue after several hours of casting but to be honest-it could happen anyway. Good luck and Good Choice ONTHEFLY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi GoKue
I used to use Ugly sticks soley. But have switch to 7 and 8 foot ST Croix for the north shore (ben doer and tidemaster series) and a 10 foot Lami for the south shore and Montauk. The feel and loading capabilities of the ST. Croix and Lami have to be experienced. Like Bill said you should at least try a single piece graphite rod. You will feel the improvement immediately. I now own several St. Croix rods and have been very satisfied with their performance and the company's customer service. Good luck on whatever you select and to each his own.
AKA thundermac

·
Registered
568 Posts
i recently brought me another lamiglas rod for pluging w/penn 5500ss. the mb1143m is a great rod for tins,bucktails,poppers,etc. this setup is equiped for the north shore & south shore beaches beleave me it's worth it. also would like to thank bill for all the info!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.