NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Surf Fishing 101 - Montauk and Beyond

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  jpfsurf 
#1 ·
Had an opportunity to view this tape and I can say that it is done very well particularly for the novice and intermediate surf caster. Although it does not go into great depth about plugging or bait fishing, it does go over the basics. The rest you need to find out for yourself. That's the beauty of surfcasting. You need to do your own homework and seek out your own successful methods. I would give this video two thumbs up if you?re a novice. If you?re an old salty dog, then its fun to watch the blitz and the scenery. I think it would make a great gift for the novice surf rat.

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

#3 ·
tape

I didn't see the tape yet but I have an idea as what it looks like.I just wish someone would make a tape of guys eeling in Caswells at night or throwing 2 oz bucktails under the light during a Nor'easter heave instead of always same old.Don't get me wrong I like blitzes too ,but more to watch that to fish.Lets face it most of the fish in a blitz is on the small side (under 12lb) and how challenging really is to throw a plug into a boiling mass of fish ?
I am just saying if you are going to make a tape about Montauk why not explore everything it has to offer instead of concentrating on blitz fishing ?Seems to me that a lot of people get this idea where you just drive out east and you are into the blitz as soon as you get out of your truck.Nothing could be further from the truth.Its very challenging piece of real estate and require sheer strength and determination in order to be successful on consistent basis.
Just my $ 0.02

#5 ·
Surf Fishing 101

Funny thing that you should mention that this tape would be a great gift for a novice Surf rat. I'm a novice surf rat. I Waited 55 years to take up fishing. So everything has been not only new, but at times over whelming.

Recently I've been lucky to have made a good friend that I met here on the boards. Ernie has taken the time to take both my son and me under his wing and try to make fisherman out of us. Well, this past Saturday after we got skunked at the Robert Moses boat dock fishing for Blackfish. Ernie shows up with a gift for the two of us. It's a copy of Surf Fishing 101-Montauk and Beyond.

I watched it twice so far, and it answered a lot of my questions. For novices like us, it's a must.

#7 ·
Finally Got My Copy

My copy of the video finally arrived yesterday. It felt like I was waiting forever for it to get to me. I enjoyed it throughly! Watched twice already and plan to watch it gain latter today which should drive my wife and kids crasy. Oh well. A man's just gotta do what a man gotta do! My only issue with the tape is wish it was twice as long.

Anyone know of any other similiar tapes worth watching on the same topic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.