NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This directive hereby notifies you that in the state of New York on February 3 2008 at 00:01 hours the daily trip limit for holders of the summer flounder ALL GEAR and FIXED GEAR permit is lowered to 210 POUNDS A DAY. This limit will remain in effect until Feburary 29, 2008.
From February 3 to February 29, 2008 or further notice, no permitted individual may land more than 210 lbs of summer flounder in any one calander day, regardless of the number permitted individuals on board.
You are NOT allowed to catch more than the daily trip limit in one day and backdate or postdate your excessive catch.Doing so is a VIOLATION and will result in LAW INFORCEMENT.
The 210lbs of summer flounder must be in seperate container(s) from all other species while on board any vessel and landed in that seperate container(s) and marked appropriatley according to subdivision 40.1 (1) of 6 NYCRR.
Fish not in such containers will constitute a VIOLATION unless those fish are being held alive. This action is taken pursuant to the quota distribution scedule of subdivision 40.1(u)(4)of6 NYCRR.
Not to cause a war on Recs/comms just thought you guys would like to see what we commercial guys get in the mail regarding the fisheries.
We have very strict guidlines also and we are getting screwed as well as the recs this year.As i said I dont want this to start a recs/comm thing just wanted to point out the letter I got word for word from the state, thought you guys might like to see first hand that its not just the RECS getting screwed.Lets try to keep this cival and lets all be nice. Were all in this toghter.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to give an idea for some guys that dont understand this post. Rite now the commercial fluke fleet is dragging in the Gully or continental shelf (hudson Canyon).Which is roughly 85-90 miles offshore from Jones inlet where they are fishing. Most of these boats are 60-95 feet long. These boats run at 7-10 knots burning 20-25 gallons per hour running.Do the math 90 miles at 25 gallons per hour one way then fishing for 210 lbs of fluke which doesnt take long, then 90 miles back home at 25 gallons an hour.Thats roughly 180 or so miles at 25 gallons per hour.Pretty costly?, now add in crew pay, food,repairs (which is every trip). So 210 lbs of fluke at the going price of $ 3.77 per lb that was todays market price is $791.17.I bet it cost more than that in fuel alone, so see it is a bad thing all around.This isnt about feel sorry for the commercial guy just wanted to shed some lite on the other side for alot of people who dont know about this stuff.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JM this is what this thread is all about answering questions for people who dont know about the commercial side of the fishery.I will answer all the questions you guys have as long as it stays civalized, im not gonna get in a pissing match with anyone over this.EC NEWELL MAN steve and Myself have a good friend Tony who runs the F/V STIRS ONE out of Point Lookout.Steve maybe you could add the post from fish to table I think it was that.This thread could answer alot of your questions that alot of people never knew, But keep it on the topic and keep it nice, No bashing anyone or I will ask Steve to shut it down.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
How Long

I understand the tally for one day at 210 pounds but running a vessel like that you are going to stay out more then one day.

Simply if you document 3 days of fishing does this bring your allotment up to 630 pounds?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are NOT allowed to catch more than the daily trip limit in one day and backdate or postdate your excessive catch.Doing so is a VIOLATION and will result in LAW INFORCEMENT. These vessels have a V.M.S Vessel monitoring system.Which is a GPS system that the Feds use to keep track of where the boats are, After you catch your quota you have to call the feds by phone to tell them you got your quota.Then return to port Unless you are going to target another species.The Days at sea permit goes by a 24 hour day, Usally starting at12:00am.Usally its a 7-10 hour steam each way so yes you are correct they usally are out for 2-3 days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
not to hip on commercial regs . but these are DAS boats ? so that means draggers from other states cannot catch more ?

as a recreational fisherman I would tend to think this is great news. should have a nice spring run (if there is a season )

I do feel bad for the fisherman that are still trying to make a living in these hard times.

but me personally I would have gave it up long ago and got another water related career on a tug or a ship somewhere and take pictures of all the draggers going by while I'm making 80+K a year

I guess its easier said then done :rolleyes:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good question debo, the boats from other states say N. carolina also have a quota They have to go by, every state has a different quota allocatoin.
Mike the gully im talking is a trench around the Hudson Canyon.The dragger captains named it that because of the dropoff there.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Quite a drop off at the one near Block as well, But I didn't think you were talking about that one. Not to hijack your thread, but do you know if the fluke will take a bait at this time of year?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Usally mike the fluke are feeding on the squid.When the fish come out of the bag alot of them have squid in their stomachs.But I have never tried to catch them out there with a rod and reel, Im sure you could. If they are eating the squid on the bottom, why not.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
My point being if you FISHED for 3 days to the average Joe that means 3 days worth of fish which would = 630 pounds.

But your saying it's 210 pounds per trip..
That really bites the big one.

How did after FISHED become all Italic???? LOL:confused:

This post edited by baywatch 01:13 PM 02/02/2008

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bay, the D.A.S permitted vessels are only allowed to catch 210lbs per 24 hour period.Some boats can stay longer depending on how many days are on their permit,Each limit of fluke is usally packed in 60lb cartons, marked with the date of harvest on them and then stored in the fish hold down below.So if a boat uses 2 of his DAS he can land his 420 lbs of fluke.And once the days are all used they are out of the fishery until the next quota period.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
cowkiller wrote:
Bay, the D.A.S permitted vessels are only allowed to catch 210lbs per 24 hour period.Some boats can stay longer depending on how many days are on their permit,Each limit of fluke is usally packed in 60lb cartons, marked with the date of harvest on them and then stored in the fish hold down below.So if a boat uses 2 of his DAS he can land his 420 lbs of fluke.And once the days are all used they are out of the fishery until the next quota period.

Wait a minute something doesn't compute here. Federally licensed boats that fish for fluke do not have DAS allocation or limitations, nor do they have to have a VMS on board. Fluke landings are controlled by the trip limits imposed by the states to stay withing their quota. I thought what you were saying is that NY adopted a 210 pound trip limit? Does NY have a aggregate landing program like many of the other states do?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Every boat has different permits mike, some federal. It all depends what gear catagory your in, But im mostly talking about the N.Y.S quota.some boats have federal landing permits and can land fluke in other states.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also Mike, all federally permitted vessels have different permits, Some are limited access permits and a V.M.S is mandatory,on most of the boats that hold them.But Im trying to keep this about the state . Federal stuff is to confusing.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
cowkiller wrote:
Every boat has different permits mike, some federal. It all depends what gear catagory your in, But im mostly talking about the N.Y.S quota.some boats have federal landing permits and can land fluke in other states.

cowkiller wrote:
Also Mike, all federally permitted vessels have different permits, Some are limited access permits and a V.M.S is mandatory,on most of the boats that hold them.But Im trying to keep this about the state . Federal stuff is to confusing.

I understand that the federal stuff may be confusing but that is no reason to let false statements stand. I also understand that you were talking about NY state landing limits.

So please allow to correct you erroneous statements. All federally permitted fluke boats have the same permits, regardless of gear type. All of those permits are limited access, and they do not require a VMS. The only permit that requires a VMS at this time is New England groundfish. Any boat out there fluke fishing right now requires a federal permit, if you don't have one you're fishing illegally. Any boat that fishes for fluke (commercial) outside state waters required a federal permit, and no new permits are being issued.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike, all of my friends who have scallop boats have V.M.S. They catch fluke as a bycatch.Yes they need a federal fluke and state permit to land them.I know that they are limited access permits,I know of alot of draggers who have a V.M.S.. Like I said the Federal permits are very confusing, Im not saying you are wrong here, but i know alot of boats on the south Shore who have and use V.M.S. Im no expert on the Federal permits,Im not trying to put up false statments at all.This thread is about state fluke regs that were just put out. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
DAS boats, scallop boats, RSA boats, and federal surf clam boats, to mention a few, require VMS. But I don't beleive the plain ole Federal fluke permit requires one.. That said, if the boat has one, it must always be on.

And yes, it sucks that the trip limit is down to 210 pounds, and that is because they, too, are getting banged hard by the reduction in quota. But w/ the abundance and quality of fluke there, everyone that went was able to make the trip fast, and w/ fabulous fish. At least they didn't have to spned eight hours towing for a trip of spined mediums.

Paul

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks paul, I know i wasnt crazy, Ive seen the V.M.S on friends boats,thanks for clearing that up, yes i heard the fluke that are being caught are mostly large and jumbo.The dragger boys tell me that the fluke are so thick, they never saw so many fish and such size, Maybe this will help the regs for comm/rec,.I just dont know why the FEDS dont see the amount of fluke out there.There is enough for all of us.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.