NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions for a solid pole and reel for baiting on the South and North Shore of L.I. I prefer to stay away from spinning. Something heavy to bring in that cow.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks to all in advance.

Mike84

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Mike,

I use a G-Loomis 10'6 pole, with a Penn 9500SS. I don't know why you want to stay away from spinning, but the 9500 is a beast of a reel and is great for bait fishing, I even use it for livelining when on my grandfathers boat(just a different rod)....

I like my current pole, but it is pricey ($280)... It's a fantastic pole... The reel is great too. If you decide to get it, I would get an spare, or maybe 2 spare spools. I have one spool lined with 30lb Fireline, the other has 30lb Ande, and the last has 15lb Trilene Big Game... Very versatile reel for all types of fishing.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I have a couple of Penns now and I am looking for more control. The pole sounds nice but a little more than I want to spend. I do not bait that often so I do not want to spend a bundle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You didn't specify boat or surf.
Here's a pair of inexpensive Daiwa rods that match a Jigmaster well.
EL21XHNC is an 11' "Hatteras Heaver". Part of the "Northcoast" series, it handles 8 'n bait.
SG-22H is a 6'6" Boat rod, with a "rounded triangular" foregrip. It won't turn!
I use the SG-22H on the biggest of Harbor Blues. A good Blackfish rod as well.

You can get away with the same 25#-test on both, but the SG-22H will handle heavier well.

Minisan Yorushiku!
Hirame

BTW: In my opinion, the requirements for North Shore and South Shorre are very different.
The "Northcoast" rod is overkill on the North Shore. St. Croix/Ben Doerr maybe?

·
Registered
178 Posts
A rod I was using earlier in the season, back in June was a Penn Power Stick, 11'.

Loved that rod, got great casts, used it for everything... Bait, Plugs, Jigs....

Wish I still had it, but fell down in some rocks on the north shore and snapped the top 1' off...

Only cost me $69, got it at Tackledirect.com.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JMC
Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like more in my price range. I will look on that website. I have ordered gear from them before they are great with really quick delivery.
Mike

·
Registered
196 Posts
Take a look at the Penn Surf Series. They make a baitcaster, I think maybe 11'6" or sligtly smaller that will handle 2 - 8 oz. I use it with a Penn 970 Z and it is really nice. The rod is around $160. Yea more that $70 but alot less than my Loomis $250 and casts almost as nice. ONTHEFLY

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mike84, there were two mentioned in this dicusssion for Penn: the Power Stick and the upgrade Surf Series. I don't know the Power Stick so I can't comment. One note on all Penn rods; the graphic is very hard - not brittle like graphic IV - but hard. So if you ding the rod and later load it with a big fish or pull when you're stuck it will break. The other guy fell and broke his PowerStick and I snapped one of mine on a tarpon. The tarpon was small, mabye 45 lbs but he took it into the channel rip and bent the rod down to the lowest line guide (closest to the reel) and BAM! It exploded! It hit my forearm and my forearm swelled up for like 3 days. I never saw the tarpon again. If you're only going to spend $70 then check out the Ugle Stick. It has a soft tip which I don't like but many people do. In addition, check out ALL STAR at http://www.allstarrods.com. In particular is their award winning Breadaway series. It won the woman's division at this year's championship in Wildwood New Jersey with a cast of 463 feet or about 121 yards. This is http://www.allstarrods.com/breakaway.htm.
You will probably like the LDFC TP 150H-2H Casting *12'6 *2 piece *4-12 oz *15-60 line wt *Mod-Fast Action "Heavy Distance Casting". Do you have a Bass Pro Shop near where you live?

·
Registered
178 Posts
gottafly,

You are right about the **** Penns being so stiff!!!! I've had a fall with my Loomis, and it has a little nick, but didn't snap...

The stiffness of the pole was good for fighting fish, but to me sometimes it felt like it would crack. Luckily it snapped falling and no while I was holding it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I looked at the All Star website. I will throw this rod into the mix when I am going to shops to test run. Thanks for the info on the Penns. In reading the reports it does seem that others have had the problem of them snapping. I do not know if there is a Bass Pro shop in my area but I will ask around. All of the comments have been very helpful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The suggestions on the rods seem ok... but you were clear on the reel type not being a spinning reel.

Suggest an old tried and true conventional surf warrior... Penn Squidder 140. There are other manufacturers as well, but I have no experience with them.

It takes a little practice to learn proper spool control (thumb the spool lip... not the line), and also is more "work" than a spinning reel as the line needs to be placed back on the reel neatly, but if used properly it will outcast ANY spinning reel when tossing something with mass... lets say 2 oz or more. I still use a spinning reel for plugs, but use Suidders for all my eel, bucktail, and bait fishing (infrequent).

In a spinning reel the line is pulled off the spool. The rig tossed must continue to pull line. The line encounters friction against the guides as the it moves out from the spool at the spools diameter into smaller and smaller diameters of the subsequent guides.

In a conventional reel the initial load will spin the spool so that the spool is feeding line to the cast. Controlled properly the rig should be almost in a free sail with almost no drag from the trailing line. The spool gains considerable momentum as it spins up and must be controlled. As the rig slows naturally in the distance, the spool momentum must be slowed and put to a dead stop just as the rig hits the water or you will end up with a bird's nest. This happens to everyone and is the reason for carrying a spare spool with a full compliment of line. There is minimal guide resistance.

In summary I think the Sqidder is a great all around reel for the surf:
[*]They are cheap.
[*]Parts available just about everywhere.
[*]Spare spools are also cheap.
[*]Spool changes are quick and easy to make with a thumb screw lock.
[*]Great drag system.
[*]Big fish are easier to control with a conventional as you are turning the spool to retrive line vs having to pull and rotate line around the spool as happens in a spinning reel.
[*]Downside is that the conventionals are not suited to being dunked in water as drag performance suffers quickly.
[/list]
PS...
Penn also makes a relatively new conventional casting reel called the MAG 525. This is a magnet enhanced reel. The magnets are adjustable and in theory are supposed to slow the spool down to reduce the potential for a bird's nest. I was going to buy one but the spool can not be changed without unscrewing several screws and taking the whole side plate off and apart.

JMC

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JMC
I was happy to see your post. I was actually looking at the squidder and I am glad you were able to answer some of my questions about the reel. I have used conventials before but not from the surf in a long time. This squidder will be my choice for a reel. I think with some shopping I will not have a hard time finding a good priced pole. I may stay away from the Penns. With this I may have to spend a little more for a quality pole. What are your pole suggestions?
Mike84

·
Registered
23 Posts
MIKE:

Depends on the $$ you want to spend.
Rods play a much more important role from the beach than they do from a boat.
I have one of the Penns mentioned, and it is OK... just OK.
I have used the Ugly Sticks... they are OK, but less OK than the Penn becasue the tip is REAL SOFT.

In any event if you are going to be tossing bait, as you stated in your first post... you are going to need a rod capable of tossing AT LEAST 8-10 oz with ease. Your sinker is going to be 4-6 ozs, your bait is going to be 2-4 oz... do the math. On the North Shore you use smaller sinkers but only by 2 oz or so. The bait is about the same.

Different reqs for eels and bucktails of course.

On rod length... I use a 9' on the North Shore, and an 11' on the South.
Buy what you are comfortable with. I am about 6' 3" and am comfortable with an 11' stick. I have friends who are 5' 5" who are not.

One thing for sure... DO NOT buy a two piece rod!
Just like a conventional reel will out cast a spinning reel... a one piece rod will outcast a two piece rod... EVERY TIME. Manufacturers make 2 piece rods for only 1 reason: 1) they are easier and less costly to ship to stores. The mass public buys 2 piece rods beause they are less money and easier to store. Most people do not realize or understand the following:

To "power your cast" a rod must be loaded just prior to the actual forward cast movement or swing. At load, the one piece rod will "bend" from the tip to the base in one smooth geometry. A giant leaf spring so to speak. All the energy here is released with your forward cast sending your rig flying. On a two piece rod that smooth geometry stops at the rod break... in essence half the potential power of the same length one piece rod.

You see this ALOT on the beach... folks get all bent out of shape because they can not cast as far as they should be... they get longer and longer rods, 12', 13', 14'.... but they keep gettiing two piece rods and their casting distances do not get apprecialbly better. This goes for spinning rods as well.

Check out Star Rods for a better manufactured rod. Call and speak to several of the custom rod builders perhaps. Pay a visit to Terminal Tackle in Smithtown. They have many store made rods, I think from from Lami blanks at good prices. In Rocky Point during the winter, Stan has rod building classes. Buy your materials from them, use their facilities, tools, and workshop over the winter free at your own pace... lots of fun, meet some good people, and you get the satisfaction of building a great rod with great materials, under some guidance from experts. You will learn what makes a great rod, and how to optimize the blank for best performance... things like spline alighnment, guide placement, reel placement, all tuned to YOU and YOUR ARMS, not the mass public. Expect to spend between $120 - $200 on this, but again it is something you do over a few weeks or months at your own pace.

JMC

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JMC
I am with you on the 1 piece. I was fortunate to have an uncle who built his own rods. He built my pluggin pole which I am able to cast with ease. I have had the pole over 10 years with no problems.

I like the idea of building my own and will try to call Terminal Tackle in Smithtown.

It seems that even if I was to buy a better store bought pole it is still going to cost me the same amount. I think that building one over the winter is a great way to learn a new hobby.

Thanks again for the information. This is a pole I will get plenty of use out of.

Mike84

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JMC
Thanks a lot for clarifying that for me. I actually sent Stan an email to get some specifics. I really appreciate all of your suggestions. When I get the details on the classes I will post it so others can see.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
i say that you get a trinidad from shimano and a g loomis rod it will cost you alot of money but its worth the cost the trinidad is one of the most strongest reels if seen also the trinidad is a "conventional" it also casts farther than all of the spinning reels

Sincerely Edward Kim

This message was edited by NyCzFiNeSt on 12-2-01 @ 1:28 AM

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.