NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on going out Saturday this week to do some striper fishing. My plans are to fish the FI CG station (bridge), the inlet and possibly the reef if the conditions outside are good. I'm looking on some advice on targetting stripers in these locations. I will be heading out in the morning (7AM) so most of the fishing will be during the morning and early afternoon. I had thought about anchoring under the bridge and chumming and fishing bellies or possibly drifting eels or bunker through the inlet. In the past I have mainly tergetted fluke, so any advice on making this a successful trip would be appreciated. No tips or advice will be too basic.

Thanks for the help,
Rob

This message was edited by R_Andersen on 9-26-01 @ 10:09 AM

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
95% of the Stripers in your area are going to be in the ocean in not more than 40 feet of water over the next 2 months. This is the beginning of the great migration. HUGE schools of bunker will be moving from East to West along the beaches. The stripers will be under them and behind them. Now is the time to learn how to troll bunker spoons with wire line or lead core line. Troll East to West in about 25 feet of water. If you put in the time, I GUARANTEE that you will have a few keepers per trip. Our largest ever was 52 pounds. Over the years we have totalled 17 fish that were over 40 pounds.

P.S. -Forget about the reef. Stripers rarely wander that far from shore.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I was considering trolling spoons but don't have any setups spooled with wire line. Is it practical to troll the spoons with mono and a weight? If so, any advice on rigging them this way? Also, are there any favorites in the way of sppons or are they all fairly productive?

Thanks Again,
Rob

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
I never hear of much luck from those who try to cheat with the spoons and use mono with a weight. Most of the effectiveness of these spoons comes from the action of the rod and the ability of the spoon to "Flutter" like a wounded bunker. Add a drail weight or even an egg sinker and it's all lost.

As far as the type of spoon, that's open to debate. My best performer is an old white spoon that has been hit so many times that the raw steal is more visible on one side than the original paint. Some guys use the bright orange. I can say to stay away from the chrome plated, stainless or mirror finished ones unless you plan to take realy good care of them (they will be dull in less than a month).

Good luck.

Oh, also, troll as slow as possible, 2-3 knots max.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Rob, so far the trolling action has been pretty slow. That will probably change in the next week or two as the water starts to cool off. Trolling is a chore, when you hook into a fish you have to keep the boat in gear, or the wire line may kink and break.
You may want to try to find some bunkers schools. They have been all over from Long Beach to at least Gilgo in about 20-25 feet of water. Try snagging a few, and either live line them, or cut them into chunks and fish the chunk under the school. Also, you may want to try eeling in the inlet. I hear their getting some fish in Fire Island Inlet on eels right now.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the advice. Since the weather for tomorrow isn't looking to good (20-25kts, 4-6 ft seas) it looks like I'll be staying inside. Would anchoring at the bridge or one of the rips inside the inlet and chumming with bellis be a good bet? Thanks again.

-------
Rob Andersen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.