NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know for us, the regs are 28" in marine waters below the GW, and 18" above......

BUT

What are the commercial regs???

I just got home from my local Waldbaum's and they were selling striped bass whole and filleted. The whole ones they had were schoolies, all under 14" it looked like. Just to make sure they were Stripers, I asked the lady behind the counter if those were in fact stripers. She said yes, I asked her why they're so small when I live with the 28" rule. All she said was "They sell more when they are smaller and we are commercial, not a personal fisher."

NY really has to fix the laws, it pissed me off to see Sea Bass Steaks BIGGER than the stripers!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
jmc91881,

I wouldn't go with the word from the counter help in the fish market (I had this job in HS). The bass you saw were probably hybrid striped bass (white perch/striper mix), caught commercially in Maryland or VA (lower size limits) or farm raised stripers. I believe stripers caught in NY state waters, which are sold, must display the whole rack with the tag from the DEC in the mouth in the display case. For a fish market in general, getting caught with illigal striper fillets isn't worth the fines and hassels (although you really never know).

To satisfy your question, I would ask to see the wholesale tags/recipt tackfully. Say perhaps you may want to buy 10 lbs but what to know exactly where they came from and what they are (farmed? hybrid? etc). They shouldn't have a problem if they are legit. If they chase you out of the store, then call the DEC.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Capt. Marc,

I hope that they are a hybrid. I do have to go there again tomorrow to pick up my girlfriend from work, so I guess I'll just ask. Really hope they're a mix.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
JMC,

Look at them closely and if they have broken lines and an ever so slightly smaller mouth than a striper, than they are hybrids. The Shop Rite near me sells them all the time...

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They had smaller heads with a REAL SMALL mouth... The reason I was asking was because the smallest striper I caught this season was 19" and even that had a big mouth compared to these... And the lines weren't as solid as they should've been, broken in some spots.... Maybe they should rename what they're selling, cause telling people it's striper is misleading, especially when you will get at MOST 3/4lb of meat from one.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
jmc91881,

Sounds like hybrid striped bass. Believe it or not, there is no state or gov law which says a retailer has to say exactly what fish they are selling. They can call any fish what ever they want. This is wrong but there is not much we can do except learn to recognize what the fillets look like. With practice you will be able to even tell the difference between flounder and fluke fillets. The seafood industry comes up with sometimes very colorful names for fish.

Dogfish-grey salmon (England)
Wolfish-ocean catfish
goosefish-anglerfish
5 week old cod or pollock - chowderfish
etc.

Perhaps some day the scientific name will be under what name they decide to call it that day.

Capt. Marc

PS I never tried a hybrid but a white perch and a striper mix should taste decent if fresh.

This message was edited by Capt. Marc on 11-21-01 @ 10:08 PM

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The state of Florida has very strict fish substitution laws and there is actually a list of what each fish must be called. I was under the impression that the list federally mandated, but I guess not. Substituting one species for another carries some hefty fines down there, but it does not seem to stop those that want to screw the public. That being said, my local supermarket does call them "hybrid bass".

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Bluegill,

I don't think hybrids have been released into the ocean. But they are commonly stocked in some fresh water lakes and rivers.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.