NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a strange looking fish this weekend while porgy fishing in the western sound. Fish was about 6 inches long, very narrow body, a flat head with a v shaped mouth and sharp teeth. top of fish was brown, underside white. Anyone know what it might be? Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Need more Info. Did it have stripes & a piece of skin under its mouth. Then it could be a Northern King Fish. This happens alot when water temps are still warm. Only a guess?

·
Registered
11,637 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I caught a fish like that on the Capt. Bob in Mattituck while fishing porgies. The captain said it was a Lizard fish. It had brown speckles on it and a V shaped mouth with small teeth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, Thanks for the replys. A friend of mine who saw the fish also thought it might be a lizard fish. I guess there not that rare although not caught very often.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there a differance between a "lizard fish" and a "hackle head"? From my understanding, a hackle head has poision slim on their teeth but has a description similiar to the above.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I go with Lizardfish too. I caught one a couple of weeks ago casting a silver lure for snappers. When I released it, the thing kind of buried itself in the sand until I disturbed it (I didn't like the thought of those teeth by my toes.)

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
A hackle head is a scuplin, same family as a sea robin. A lizard fish is totally different. Much more a wamr water fish.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anybody know of any sources (i.e. books, websites, etc.) that show pictures and have info. of such fish. Most of the books and sites I checked only discuss the more common species such as Bass and Blues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.