NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THINKIN OF GETTIN ONE OF THESE REELS IN 4000 CLASS FOR STRIPERS. STRADIC 159.00 SUSTAIN 219.00 EVEN THE SAROS MAY BE IN THE DISCUSSION AT 129.00. ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HAVE ONE THEY CAN COMMENT ON? THX.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm not a big spinning reel guy, but I have used a Sustain 4000 for the last few seasons. The reel has taken bass to 20 lbs., blues to 12, fluke, and albies. Have it spooled with 20 lb PP on a 7' Rogue rod. Excellent drag and it has held up well. Just needs to be rinsed after every use.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a stradic and for what it is worth it is a top of the line reel at a low cost,I usaly dont buy the cheaper models of reels but I couldnt pass on it ,I have had it for 5 years now and it is still in great shape

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey thx 4 the replies i appriciate it, think ill go with the stradic. use the money 4 boat fuel...u no its gonna cost a little more to troll this year..sorry about the caps lock did not no it was on...i was excited but not that much..ha ha

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
ok good lol

because i just got a stradic 5000FI for christmas and can't wait to use it!!! My wife was the one that got me the reel and i was blown away because i wanted to upgrade from a spheros 4000 which by the way was a great reel and i didnt even think of spending that much for the stradic! but i am lucky to have such a great wife that loves the fact that i love to fish!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I've been using a Stradic 6000 for 5 years now, paid $159 for mine. Was looking for a light reel to go with my 11' St Croix, very happy. I went on e-bay and bought another one new in the box for $95. I love knowing I have a backup in case something mj goes wrong with my primary. You do need to maintain it however, it's not like a Penn that you can neglect and it keeps working. rince and oil with keep it good year after year.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Well you can't go wrong with those two shimano reels. I have two stradics I used to use for fresh water. They were nice smooth reels.

I also have two Sustains that I use in the salt. I have the 4000 and 5000. I like them both. One has a little more drag pressure and line capacity than the other. I think they are good reels. I also took off the paddle type handles and put on the Stella handles for more power. I like the larger Trinidad style handle.

If I had to choose, of course I'd spend the extra and get the Sustain, but that's just me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I own both reels in their previous (pre-paladin, etc) versions and would happily recommend both.

The Sustain is a beautiful reel, smooth with it's two extra BBs over the Stradic. The stradic is great too though, especially when you consider the cost. Other than the 2 BBs, both reels seem to have the same features based upon the Shimano website.

Stradic
http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fis...<>ast_id=1408474395181270&bmUID=1201963593222

Sustain:
http://http://fish.shimano.com/cata...<>ast_id=1408474395181270&bmUID=1201963273114

Tackltour talked recently about the fact you should either go with a Stradic for lower high end or the Stella for high end. Their reason for this was that the features gap between the Stradic and the Sustain had closed to the point where the cost difference between the two wasn't making the Sustain a cost effective choice.

S

·
Registered
397 Posts
Shimano Reels

One my first Shimano reels was the Stradic 8000FH incredibly smooth and a very strong reel but rinse & oiling is a must after each use. I find no difference between the Stradic and the Sustain except for price, the 8000FH does not weigh much considering the size of the reel (19.9oz.) I match mine w/a 9ft. St.Croix Triumph, its one of my favorite set ups. Good Luck Bro!!

·
Banned
62 Posts
reels

The biggest difference between the two reels is the
way the handle is attached. The sustains handle is screwed directly to
the drive gear where the stradic is screwed into the cap on the other side of the reel causing major backplay in handle.Stradic does not compare to the sustain. I wouldnt spray them down either they dont like
that just forces the salt down into the reel. Just wipe them with a damp
rag.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The New Stradic employs two bearings on the main gear just like it's bigger brother the Sustain with the new crosswind system and coatings and other upgrades on this reel it is better than the Old Sustain, which only had 1 bearing on the main gear also. If you look at the Tackle Tour review from the Vegas Show you'll get a better overview of the reel.

I gave Dave Jr. a New Stradic 3000 to use in the surf, told him not to wash it and to keep it under the water when ever he could! Basically beat the snot out of it like a Goog would. As of this writing it hasn't shown any sign of corrosion or the typical pitting of the bail near the roller assembly, you have to give shimano props for doing their homework.

Dave Sr.
P.S. These reels were designed for Boat use and not for hardcore Surf use and should be washed with a light spray after use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.