NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I fish on party boats and I usually go through the green crabs and pick out any stone crabs that are there. I have never found a good source to purchase them in numbers. For hermit crabs, the captains on the charters I used to fish in Greenport would buy them by the bushel from the scallop boats. Again, I don't know of any bait shops that stock hermit crabs on a regualar basis. Does anybody else have any ideas??

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
If they are small, I will usually thread 2 on the hook, starting at the base of the abdomen and coming out the underside of the carapace. If the are the big ones (my favorite), I start the hook in the underside of the carapace and run it out the back of the abdomen. This allows you two shots at the fish, as the crabs easily tear where the abdomen and the carapace come together. Just like green crabs, everybody has their own pet way of baiting the hook, so I am sure that you will hear other methods. I don't usually remove the top shell of the green crab and others wouldn't even think of leaving it on.

Gamakatsu

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.