NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This message was posted to our Reports List so I figured maybe you guys could help him out:

Where is it possible to get stone crabs for blachfish bait? Ditto for hermit and calico crabs.

Like many of you, I have been catching more blackfish than usual while drifting for seabass and porgies. I hope this is a positive omen for the upcoming tog season

Togman

Respectfully,
George R. Scocca
Publisher, Nor'east Saltwater

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Your best bet is to visit your local tackle shop and purchase your bait. If you choose to dig or trap your own crabs, be aware that many towns & villages on Long Island require you to purchase a permit for harvesting any species of crab, even if you are using them for bait. For about $4 bucks, you can buy a pint of fiddler crabs. For a buck or two more, you can purchase a dozen nice-sized green crabs. Trust me, when the temps start to drop, the last thing you want to be doing is wasting your time catching crabs when you can be out fishing.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I fish on party boats and I usually go through the green crabs and pick out any stone crabs that are there. I have never found a good source to purchase them in numbers. For hermit crabs, the captains on the charters I used to fish in Greenport would buy them by the bushel from the scallop boats. Again, I don't know of any bait shops that stock hermit crabs on a regualar basis. Does anybody else have any ideas??

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only place you'll be able to buy hermit crabs would be the montauk area at the bait stores(south shore) I forgot the name of the bait & tackle store in question but I'm sure that all of them in the area have them.I go buy them there on saturdays & I keep them in a bucket for the next day.they always hold nicely.
as for crabing which I do often,I go to captree fishing piers at night with 2 or 3 nets with bunker and it takes me about 1 HR to fill a 5 gallon bucket with mixed crabs,calico,greens,stone
and sometimes hermits.but beware, you need a permit if you go there at night.the cops are really bored this time of year lol.....
happy tautoging...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check with local lobstermen. They catch them in their traps all the time. I get about 5-6 large hermit crabs when i check my traps. I find that the hermits are the best for the togs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,
I know that hermit crabs make fantastic blackfish bait, but whats the best way to hook them? Sometimes the Prime Time has some hermit crabs on board, but i am not sure how to properly bait them up.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If they are small, I will usually thread 2 on the hook, starting at the base of the abdomen and coming out the underside of the carapace. If the are the big ones (my favorite), I start the hook in the underside of the carapace and run it out the back of the abdomen. This allows you two shots at the fish, as the crabs easily tear where the abdomen and the carapace come together. Just like green crabs, everybody has their own pet way of baiting the hook, so I am sure that you will hear other methods. I don't usually remove the top shell of the green crab and others wouldn't even think of leaving it on.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
197 Posts
If anyone is looking for stone and green crabs, two places by my house have tons of them. One is Mount Sinai, go past the marina and yacht club to the fishing pier, there are tons of stone crabs clinging to the pier which at low tide is maybe in half a foot to 1 foot of water, also right behind the pier there are some boulders that on the incoming high tide and outgoing low tide is about 1-3 feet deep and the crabs are right in the shade of the boulders.

The nice spot for greens is by the decommisioned Shoreham nuclear power plant, easily reached through Wading River. There is a creek that when high you shouldn't even bother, but at low tide you can walk the whole creek and find some nice greens and a lot of them at that. At both places leave before 10pm though, in Mt. Sinai the parks police tell you to leave, and in Wading River the Riverhead Town police will tell you to leave, or on M, W, F, and Sundays, the officer on shift then is a ass and will give you a ticket.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If anyone needs Stones, Calicos, or Greens I can get them for you, I will deliver anywhere in Suffolk for free, or anywhere in Nassau for a buck.

Just email me if you ever need any.

~Joe

·
Registered
778 Posts
jmc91881. I can pick up calicos-stones and willing to pay you for your time and effort or pay for delivery you can e-mail me at [email protected]
can i put an order in for the next day ? or do you only do it on certen days?

tight lines...Anthony

This message was edited by bhm25 on 10-10-01 @ 6:52 PM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.