NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
talking last week to a couple of fisherman fishing davis park surf.I asked them how they were doing and they said they each just released two stingrays.I said you must be mistaken because having lived here and fished for 40 some years i never heard seen or came across a stingray.I said it must be a skate and they swore it had a barb and was huge.Anyone out there ever seen a stingray around these waters.

· Registered
48 Posts
They're out there for sure. Fishing a few weeks ago in gin clear water off democrat point saw quite a few gliding along the bottom. Easy 5' wingspan. Also saw them this year breaching in the ocean near FI reef. Maybe shaking parasites(?)

This post edited by RunNgun 10:03 PM 09/20/2008

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Nope
It was probably a stingray.

A couple years ago while fishing on a charter boat for fluke in the FI inlet my girlfriend hooked into something big. the pole doubled over and drag started ripping out. I thought she was stuck on the bottom so I grabbed the pole from her to break it free. I thumbed the spool and started to gain some line. Slowly thumbing the spool and pumping the rod I was gaining line on what I though was a piece of wood or a boot or something. As it neared the boat it started swimming a big 20' circle away from the boat and back under again. When I got it to the surface it was in fact a huge stingray. A big.... like 3'-4' round unmistakably gray stingray. I tried to pull it up for a pick but I couldn't reach the wing from the party boat and the 40lb leader snapped as I tried to pull it up. It was an exciting catch but my girlfriend now hates me forever for taking the rod from her.

This post edited by 6to8ftSeas 10:45 PM 09/20/2008

· Registered
3,981 Posts
The larger "dangerous" looking ones are Roughtail Stingray or Atlantic Ray. Dark Brown to Grey. The cow nose are not as menacing looking, and a golden brown in color. The "cow nose" is pretty easy to make out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.